Hellboy

Roktman

This is an approx 1/3rd scale kit I obtained from Mark Warthling. It comes in 9 parts - the head/body, the stone arm, 2 sets of horns (long and short - I chose the short), a base and two name plates. The arm, base and one of the name plates are in translucent resin in case you want to light the kit.
Once again it was a case of me jumping into things before taking the start image, but you'll see the clear resin along the way.

I started with a tan primer, glued the horns in and then painted the face red.
 IMG_3280.jpg

Reddened the face, and painted the hair black -
IMG_3281.jpg

When it came to the arm, I looked around and it was no where to be found. I contacted Mark, and for a little fee he was able to get me another. How can something that big go missing? I have no idea... Here you can see the translucent hand. Anyway, in the background you may be able to see I added a darker brown shadow to parts of the jacket.
IMG_3359.jpg

What I did to highlight the black hair was to use a little blue in it. All shirt references showed it was black, so I mixed a little blue into that to compliment the hair. You can also see the translucent base and the arm with primer. I also painted the zipper steel, and the little emblem on the pull the new Molotow Chrome. That stuff is amazing.
IMG_3360.jpg

Next was tackling the Dark brown leather collar and straps. You can see in the background the arm got it's coat of red -
IMG_3366.jpg

While I thought of it, I painted in the eyes. Hellboy had yellow sclera, with a light brown iris, and then the black pupil. With the squint the model has I just left of the sclera color...
IMG_3367.jpg

I fixed up the coloring on his head and now I'm happy with it. Hellboy is now complete.

I didn't mention the base, but being translucent it calls out to be lit. Never having done lighting, I left it open for lights down the road. What I did tho, was dremel out more material in the symbols, and then seeing a miniatures trick I got some matte Mod Podge and mixed it with black craft paint until it was *dark*, then I painted thickly on (avoiding the symbols) the base. Does well with light blocking.
IMG_3380.jpg

IMG_3381.jpg

It was crazy how many images I went thru before I found an definite image of the emblem on his sleeve. Only found one. Thanks for looking.
IMG_3382.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/20/2019 at 7:39 AM, dmorrissette said:

Yup- Kroenen. All three are excellent. Love the way the red isn't "too" red

Dave

Hehe, that's him. I should have remembered having just watched it again the other nite.

Thanks re: the red. A while back I bought a red set that Vallejo did for Nocturna Models. Six bottles going from a red purple thru an almost orange. Makes it easy to pick your triad -

crimson-red-set.jpg

Edited by Roktman