Tamiya 1/32nd scale P-51D "Glengary Guy"

Bradley25mm

I choose to do the base first on this build. I'm going to pose the Mustang in a state of Maintenance.  The base itself consist of 3/4" plywood covered with cut squares of 80 grit sandpaper. I attached the squares to the plywood with contact adhesive. I painted the sandpaper with Testor's Model Master enamels. I did a pin wash of black artist oils to simulate oils stains. I finished it off by painting cracks with flat black, and applied pastel dust along the joints in the concrete. I found some grass that comes in like a blanket from Germany. It was applied over sanded grout that was painted dark brown. I did some scratch build. (The saw horses, work bench, and the propeller stand) The barrels,and tool box came from Miniart. The plaques were made at my local trophy shop. The figures were a mix of 1 kit supplied pilot, 2 Verlinden, and 2 Ultracast. I have not completed a lot on the plane itself. Its a great kit with loads of options, and the parts fit great. I purchased the plated metal model.

Regards

Christopher

Mustang 1.jpg

Mustang 2.jpg

Mustang 3.jpg

Mustang 4.jpg

Mustang 5.jpg

Mustang 6.jpg

Mustang 7.jpg

Mustang 8.jpg

Mustang 9.jpg

Mustang 10.jpg

Mustang 11.jpg

Mustang 12.jpg

Mustang 13.jpg

Mustang 14.jpg

Mustang 15.jpg

Holy cow! That's impressive and there's not even a model there yet!

Looks like a well conceived "scene" and your figure painting is outstanding. The only item that jumped out at first glance is the side arm on the officer not in a flight suit. Looking forward to more on this one!

GIL :cool:

Thanks Gil. The pilot with the .38 revolver is from Verlinden. The revolver came with the figure. I thought that it was a little strange myself, since the .45 was the issued side arm at the time. 

Regards

Christopher

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Took a small break from modeling. Back at it again. Finally finished adding the photo etch to the engine, and cockpit. I purchased 4 sets from Eduard. Engine, cockpit, seatbelts, and gun bays. I also purchased a set of resin tires, and propeller with spinner. The kit rubber tires had nasty seams down the middle. After cutting the engine panels apart, I added photo etch to the inside of each one. I took the paper fuel tanks that came with the kit, and added them to the display. 

I used Testor's  Metalizer Lacquer to simulate metal . This stuff is fantastic. I used it a lot for the engine components. Spray it on, let it dry, then buff it out. I seal mine after buffing. This prevents getting silver finger tips. One of the guys in our local model club was commissioned by the pilots son to build this exact same kit.The son gave him a copy of his fathers flight logs, and a very descriptive book detailing every one of his father's mission during the war. Thanks Ted for letting me use this info while building this kit. 

mustang 1.jpg

mustang 2.jpg

mustang 4.jpg

mustang 5.jpg

mustang 6.jpg

mustang 7.jpg

mustang 8.jpg

mustang 9.jpg

mustang 10.jpg

mustang 11.jpg

mustang 12.jpg

mustang 13.jpg

mustang 14.jpg

mustang 15.jpg

mustang 16.jpg

mustang 17.jpg

mustang 18.jpg

mustang 19.jpg

mustang 20.jpg

mustang 21.jpg

mustang 22.jpg

mustang 23.jpg

mustang 24.jpg

mustang 25.jpg

mustang 26.jpg

mustang 27.jpg

mustang 28.jpg

mustang 29.jpg

mustang 30.jpg

mustang 31.jpg

mustang 32.jpg

mustang 33.jpg

mustang3.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished. This by far, was the best kit I've EVER built. My hat goes off to all the folks at Tamiya for putting together a fantastic kit. The fit of all the parts was simply amazing. If you like Mustangs like I do, you need to go out and pick up this kit.

Regards

Christopher.

mustang 1.jpg

mustang 2.jpg

mustang 3.jpg

mustang 4.jpg

mustang 5.jpg

mustang 6.jpg

mustang 7.jpg

mustang 8.jpg

mustang 9.jpg

mustang 10.jpg

mustang 11.jpg

mustang 12.jpg

mustang 13.jpg

mustang 14.jpg

Thanks very much for the kind comments Mark!  I really appreciate it. Would love to make it to the Nationals . Looks like a fantastic time. How often do you try and attend? 

Regards 

Christopher

Every chance I get but with my income, I'm lucky to attend the western ones when they come out here. The furthest east I attended was Columbus, but my brother lived there so I saved a bundle on lodging, making it easier to go. Chattanooga will be the furthest east I attend without family to fall back on; that is if I make it. The cost and logistics will be very challenging for me but I'm working the problem now.

Super build, very nicely done.  I would comment on only one thing, and that is the propeller stand.  The root of the propeller blade is the most highly stressed area and it is unusual to see a propeller resting on any part of the blade.  The usual method is to use a spline that matches the one on the engine and mount it to the top of the stand to hold the propeller hub. 

What a super looking build and a very well posed scene too! Love the scheme you chose....later war when they started re-applying camo over the Mustangs delivered in NMF. Congrats, and thanks for letting us ride along!

GIL :cool: