F9F-5P Progress

nmertes

Successfully glued the wings on my F9F-5P this afternoon.  A little seam cleanup & some putty down the cut line should make it ready for paint.  It will never be a contest entry but, that's not what I'm building it for.  The cut line is a lot narrower than I expected it to be.

IMG_20190209_200500.jpg

IMG_20190209_195611.jpg

IMG_20190209_195627.jpg

• Like 1

Yep, a little filler, or even a strip of plastic in that front gap and you'll almost forget it was ever there. Way to persevere!

By the way, in the future if you're updating a project (like this one), you can simply post the new pics and info at the bottom of your original post and it will jump back up to the top of the topics when you post it. That saves having to "add" a new post when you do an "update". Hope this helps!

GIL :cool:

Edited by ghodges

• 2 weeks later...

The Panther project is making progress.  Some Bondo, sanding, & another coat of primer have it just about ready for a coat of Dark Sea Blue.  Hopefully that will happen Saturday.  The cut through the port wing root, while not invisible, turned out a lot better than I had expected.  

IMG_20190220_191507.jpg

IMG_20190220_191519.jpg

IMG_20190220_191550.jpg

Shhhhh! There was never a problem, nor is there any "cut line". Trust me, if you don't mention it, no one will see anything. I'm looking, KNOWING it's there, and having trouble seeing anything! Excellent recovery!

By the way, do you have any Tamiya Fine White primer? If so, I'd recommend a coat of that before starting with the blue. It'll cover easier over the white than the gray.

More progress.  I missed Gil's recommendation of Tamiya white primer before spraying blue.  Next kit on the docket is the Kitty Hawk F2H-2P.  I'll remember to use the white for it.  Experimenting with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner.  Thinned MM Dark Sea Blue 2 parts paint to 1 part thinner.  Looked extremely thin.  Dropped the pressure on my compressor to 12 psi & moved the needle a little further forward.  Guess it's been too long since I've done any airbrushing.  The topside will need another coat & a couple days drying time before I shoot the bottom.

IMG_20190223_174354.jpg

IMG_20190223_174402.jpg

Nice work! Keep going!

Mark

You're off to a good start, and that color looks dead-on!

Do you have any 1000 grit or finer wet/dry sanding pads or sticks? If so, you might try LIGHTLY wet sanding the paint job before applying the next coat. You can even use 600 grit paper IF you're really light on the touch, letting the paper do all the work. That should smooth out most of the orange peel look and that next coat of paint will look even better.

I agree with Mark, regardless. This is coming along very well and is going to look the part!