Abrams M1A2 tank in 1:48 scale

DennisTennant

I finally finished this baby last night. My first competed build for 2019. It's the Tamiya kit built in Operation Iraqi Freedom (thanks for correcting me, Rob) scheme. I used mylar for the optics and a resin set from Red Zebra for stowage. I also printed out cardboard boxes for MREs from Freddie's set and assembled them for a neat look that breaks up the stowage on the tank. I added a boom mic to the tank commander with copper wire. I used the hairspray technique on this one and tried to bring out the NATO woodland scheme underneath like the original. It didn't work out too well in that the top coat was very tenacious and didn't want to come off easily. Final weathering with Wilder oils and Flory pigments. I also made use of an item called "ceramic wire" for the aerials.  I'm pretty satisfied with this build. The kit is highly recommended. 

DET_6578.jpg

DET_6548.jpg

DET_6571.jpg

DET_6492.jpg

DET_6500.jpg

DET_6510.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It looks good, the hubs of the road wheels and idler wheels are molded of clear plastic so crewmen can see the oil level. Sort of resembles a bottle of cola when sitting on its side and looking at the bottom.

I also think you mean Operation Iraqi Freedom. The M1A2 was not fielded during Desert Storm and the combat identification panels on the front, sides and back of the turret weren't fielded until the mid to late 1990s.

Thanks Bryan, Rob, for the nice comments. I wish Tamiya would release more modern subjects in 1:48!

• Like 1

I agree, to go with their HMMWVs and Abrams, I would love to see an M113A2 with options to make an A3, a Bradley and M60 series.

But heck I would be happy if they retooled this kit to make an M1A1 or M1A1AIM and give us the ability to make a Cold War, Desert Storm or OIF tank. Or the ability to make a Marine Corps version.

I think besides this kit, their only modern armor are two different HMMWVs, a JGSDF Type 10 tank and JGSDF Type 16 wheeled vehicle similar to a Stryker MGS.

Those would be great as well. Choosing the M1A2 Abrams was an odd choice; the tank was not widely fielded and subsequent changes led to the M1A2SEP and subsequent versions being the mainstay tank. The only units to use the straight M1A2 were the 4th Infantry Division, a few battalions of the 1st Cavalry Division and the 3rd ACR. An M1A1 or an M1A2SEP would have been superior choices that had a wider fielding and more combat usage.