Rivets on the Testors HH-43 Huskie

Joev259A

I'm starting work on the old Testors Huskie, and from a competition standpoint,  could the rivets remain on the model or should they be sanded off?  It IS a 1/32 scale helicopter, and close up photographs show rivets.  Thanks all.

Joe Vattilana

IPMS 4375

I do not think the presence of rivets would be a disadvantage per se even if they were not in scale. It would not affect how I would judge it. The challenge of rivets or raised panel lines arises when the builder fills seams and cleans up joints and the adjacent detail is sanded off. Now it has to be somehow reintroduced or else there will not be consistency in the appearance of the surface of the model. Raised panel lines are not too difficult to replicate, but rivets are a challenge, at least in my experience. Unless you are able to re-introduce the lost rivets with an appearance similar to those rivets left behind, I think you are better off removing them all. Regards, Nick Filippone, Senior National Judge

Thanks for the tremendous insight.  I built the kit in the late 1970's so I know the challenges.  I started to work on it, then put it away because of the rivet issue.  It's back out (again).

Joe: Archer makes resin rivets in various sizes that can be easily added to replace raised ones lost in sanding. They have a variety, so check them out to see if they have a size and shape that might fit your needs.

Here's a link:  https://www.google.com/search?q=Archer+raised+rivets&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwis7Neot5DgAhWRiOAKHZ5lB9QQsxgILQ&biw=1600&bih=760

GIL :cool:

Indeed, Archer makes such strips of rivets. They can be used to excellent effect as demonstrated by an IPMS member on this Forum I think about a year ago. He took the old Monogram DC-3 (the about 1/96? scale from the 50’s) and did a great job restoring the raised rivets with this product. In can be done. I actually book marked it on my old i-Pad. I will try to find it. Nick

If you're building it for competition, you might want to look at Lone Star Models' detail set for this kit if you haven't already:  https://www.lonestarmodels.com/store/p_109341/lsmcc-32004-h-43-huskie-interior-set

(I have no connection to LSM. I'm just a fellow modeler who likes the detail set.)

Thanks Dave.  Actually I do have the detail set from Cobra.  The first time I made the Huskie I scratch built  the interior.  I was able to get ALOT of photographs from Kaman Aerospace (when aircraft manufacturers actually responded to modelers),  and I have some of the exposed engine.  I'm thinking about using an MRC UH-1 engine as a base.  There's two challenging problems with the kit:  doing a full detail on the rotor heads, and the decal situation.  I'm near the Air Mobility Command Museum at Dover AFB, and they have a Huskie on display. so I can poke around there.   The other problem are the decals,  so I'm anticipating  doing my own.   

joe V.

Hi Joe, that must have been fun scratch building the interior. I put off buying the Cobra set for years and then when they discontinued it I suddenly wished I had bought it. When Lone Star reissued it last year I didn't waste any time and bought one, but I don't know when I'll get around to building my kit. The Hill AFB Museum near me also has a Huskie which I've studied over the years. Besides the rotor head, the servo flaps on the kit blades are also simplified and would benefit from some reworking. I've thought it would be fun to build the original motorized version straight from the box and enter it in an IPMS contest documented with some pictures of a Huskie with giant penlight batteries photoshopped into the rear compartment. Good luck with your build!

• Like 1