Help. Do I need to putty the wings on a Mustang?

Bradley25mm

Good Afternoon All,

I’m getting ready to start Tamiya’s 1/32nd scale P-51D. I know that when the aircraft were at the assembly plant, the wings were  puttied and sanded smooth to reduce drag.  Can anyone tell me how much of the wing was puttied, and which areas ?Thanks in advance.

Regards

Christopher

Edited by Bradley25mm

If you feel the need to make a "hyper-accurate" P-51, then you MAY feel you need to putty lines on the wing. However, there's also a caveat to that line of thought....

I've also read that between depot paint work, the removal of one scheme for the application of another, and general wear and tear (wearing from missions), that the putty generally disappeared. In other words, if you were to do a plane with a significant number of missions under its belt, it would LOOK like the wing hadn't been puttied and sanded.

Use your own judgement....

To answer your question more precisely....my understanding is that the only lines that showed when it left the factory were the lines for the ammo bay doors, as well as the divisions between the flaps and ailerons.

Hopefully there'll be a better "expert" along soon to give you a more definitive answer.

GIL :cool:

Read all six pages for lots of "expert" discussion: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/21362-mustang-wings-and-panel-seams/&