Completed Revell-Germany 1/32nd scale Westland Lynx HAS.3

Bradley25mm

Finally finished. The fit of all the parts on this model were outstanding. Decals were great. Rivets took awhile to put on, but it was well worth it. The entire model was painted Testors Model Master enamels. (Except for the blue cockpit window tint. That was Tamiya Clear Blue.) After I sealed the model with gloss overcoat for the decals, I applied a wash of Lamp Black artist oils thinned with mineral spirits. I let it dry for about an hour. I then took a clean cotton cloth dampened with CLEAN mineral spirits, and wiped off the excess wash. Time to move on to the next one.

Regards

Christopher

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

Thanks Kevin. I've failed on more the one occasion with window tinting. That's until I started using Tamiya clear green, and blue. I thin it quite a bit. Airbrush it on the inside of the window. I actually messed up on the first application of the blue (lint in the paint). After it dried,  I took a q-tip  with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol and cleaned it off. Stripped off no problem, and did not harm the plastic. Left no residue either. Thanks Bill for the compliment. I'm glad I took my time on this one.

Regards

Christopher

In a word: STUPENDOUS! Thanks for the further explanation on your tinting. I have problems with it pooling at the edges and not being perfectly even across the entire part. Are you Airbrushing it, brushing it on, or dipping it? Nice pics too by the way...they really make all those little details you added pop out! Congrats, and thanks for letting us watch you work your magic!

GIL :cool:

Thank you Gil. As far as the tinting, I tried to brush it on, at first. I had the exact same problems that you mentioned above. I airbrush it on now. I’ve never tried to dip them before. I’m going to try that out tomorrow night on some scrap pieces. Thanks for the idea.

Regards

Christopher.

4 hours ago, Bradley25mm said:

Thanks Kevin. I've failed on more the one occasion with window tinting. That's until I started using Tamiya clear green, and blue. I thin it quite a bit. Airbrush it on the inside of the window. I actually messed up on the first application of the blue (lint in the paint). After it dried,  I took a q-tip  with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol and cleaned it off. Stripped off no problem, and did not harm the plastic. Left no residue either. Thanks Bill for the compliment. I'm glad I took my time on this one.

Regards

Christopher

For me it was with transparent green from Vallejo mixed with future.

SPRAY... not enough... SPRAY... not enough...SPRAY... ARRRGGHHH too much. 😞   😉

• Haha 1

Sorry to hear about that Kevin. I’ve never used Vallejo paints. Are they really as good as everyone describes them? When I first used the Tamiya clear green through my airbrush, the paint did not look smooth at all when it went on. I was tempted to wipe it off right away, but decided to let it dry. As it dried, the paint eventually smooth out. It’s all I use now.

Regards

Christopher

On 1/28/2019 at 10:06 PM, Bradley25mm said:

Sorry to hear about that Kevin. I’ve never used Vallejo paints. Are they really as good as everyone describes them? When I first used the Tamiya clear green through my airbrush, the paint did not look smooth at all when it went on. I was tempted to wipe it off right away, but decided to let it dry. As it dried, the paint eventually smooth out. It’s all I use now.

Regards

Christopher

Christopher,

I think they are. Matter of fact I've completely switched over from Tamiya and Model Master paints. I really don't understand the troubles/complaints I sometimes read on the various forums. They do need to be thinned down (but shouldn't that be an SOP for airbrushing?). I've used water, Vallejo thinner and also their Flow Improver. Their regular Model Color definitely needs to be thinned, but even the "Air" paint gets a few drops of thinner/ Flow Improver. The only other thing that may be a problem is too high a setting on the compressor.  Vallejo's documentations says to spray at no more than 20 psi. I shoot my paint at 12 to 15 and that greatly reduces the drying on the tip of the needle.

Thanks for the reply Kevin. I picked some up this week. I have not used them yet. I specifically purchased them to paint some figures for my P-51 diorama. Sounds like they live up to the hype. Glad to hear their easy to work with. Personally, I dread doing figures. I’m still using Testors Model Master enamels About 90% of the time. I’ve got two small shelves in my build closet with around 30 or so colors of Tamiya. Again, thanks for all the helpful info. I’m looking forward to using them.

Regards,

Christopher.