Dap Plastic Wood Natural

Roktman

I bought this stuff on spec a while ago, and tossed it into my scenics drawer. It was $13 for 32 oz.  I don't think it would be worth it for a larger dio, but good for some smaller vignette.  I decided for a mini I was building I would try it out.

I dug into my collection of little bits of foam from shipping boxes I found the size I liked, and then cut more to fill in the space for the two hills I have planned.  Gluing them with Woodland Scenics Foam Glue, I put everything in place. I realized I needed a smaller rise to offset the hills so I tore pieces off some sheet cork I had and added them to the center.

Once dry I got out some Dap Plastic Wood that I had  put away in a drawer to use as the groundwork. Out of the container it's this brown-red color, but as you'll see it turns to a light brown when dry.
IMG_3290.jpg

First I started out just using my hands, but this stuff is very sticky, and it's best to use some spatula shaped tools. It also help to keep the tools wet.
IMG_3289.jpg

From there things progressed very quickly. And you need to be quick. The Plastic Wood dries pretty fast. It was already starting to firm up in  5 minutes. Keeping it wet slows that time - a little.
IMG_3288.jpg

IMG_3291.jpg

As you see in the pics as the putty dries it gets lighter in color, a clue that it's time to sand (if you want things smoother).  Sanding is easy.
The Giant was moulded to be stepping off a boulder. To have come continuity I took some landscaping bark chips and made additional boulders. The bark chips make great rocks by painting them black and then subsequent lighter drybrusings of gray. I also painted the ground a dark brown.

From there is was just a matter of spreading some PVA glue around the base, and then with a static grass applicator, put the grass down. For realism, make sure to leave little bare spaces. It's the wilderness after all and not a lawn or golf course. 😉
 In the pic the bare spot in the middle is where the Giant will be glued down. More glue and static grass around his feet will complete the base.
IMG_3292.jpg

Edited by Roktman