South Texas

tosouthern66

Hello from South Texas. My name is Tony Southern and I just joined the forums. I am not affiliated with any chapter currently. My interest is in aircraft and cars for modeling. I am a member of several forums on the net and have met a lot of other modelers. I look forward to learning different build techniques from you folks here as well.

Err, Umm!   Del Rio is about a 3 1/2 to 4 hour drive to San Marcos, TX where the 2020 convention will be   held.

San Antonio is only marginally closer.  IPMS San Antonio's ModelFiesta will be held there on February 16 of this year

Thats not bad considering you can drive for 8+ hours and never leave the State

Just now, EFGrune said:

Err, Umm!   Del Rio is about a 3 1/2 to 4 hour drive to San Marcos, TX where the 2020 convention will be   held.

San Antonio is only marginally closer.  IPMS San Antonio's Model Fiesta will be held there on February 16 of this year

Thats not bad considering you can drive for 8+ hours and never leave the State

Ed

I know several of us from the RGV is planning on coming up to Model Fiesta this year and planning on the 2020 convention. 

ModelFiesta is scheduled for Feb 16th in San Antonio. It will be the 38th year for this annual event. Some 55,000 sq.ft of floor space is divided between the contest area (817 entries last year!) and the vendor area.... the table count for vendors fluctuates so I'm not sure of the count, somewhere between 125 and 140 tables. Go to the Alamo Squadron website at "www.alamosquadron.com" for particulars.

Tony, you can find "local" chapters in South Texas by going to the IPMS website, select "ABOUT", and then select either "Region Map" or "Chapter Map". There are clubs in Houston, Galveston, El Paso, San Antonio, and Austin. Other clubs are a bit farther north.

As for the 2020 Nats....San Marcos is 20 miles south of Austin and 40 miles north of San Antonio. As you probably know from your trips up and down I-35, its hard to figure out just where the boundaries are for Austin, San Marcos, and San Antonio. But that's in 2020, in the meantime focus on the Big Show in Chattanooga in August! Should be a killer show!
By the way, Lake Charles, La has a contest this Sunday! Again, go to the IPMS website and look for the Event Calendar. The Lake Charles show is always a blast!