Fantastic 4 Susan

Roktman

Right from the start, I must admit I'm not the biggest Fantastic Four fan.  But I thought the plan for the kit where Susan herself could be cast in clear resin was ingenious. The kit was sculpted by Tony Spangler, and molded and casted by Mark Kaelin.

The kit comes in 5 parts - the head and shoulders, the body, a "4" base and a nameplate.
IMG_3248.jpg

F4_Sue_Storm.JPG

Looking at the kit the clear head and shoulders casts was an excellent idea. Pulling it off I'm sure was problematic. Giving it a close look small bubbles can be seen inside and there was one under her nose. Now with it clear, it can't be filled. But with a bath of Future, many of the bubbles became invisible or at least less emphasized.

Next up, looking at the colors for Susan's uniform, between the comics, cartoons and now the movies + fan art there are a multitude of colors and styles.  So in the end I chose a simple light blue color and a dark blue stripe.  I also added a steel color and medium blue to the emblem on the chest.
IMG_3257.jpg

While all that was drying, I turned my attention to the base. Both were colored in a light Steel color, and then then highlighted in blue.
IMG_3256.jpg

IMG_3272.jpg
Masked up for the blue paint.

I felt something else needed to happen with the seams in the clothing. I have some Gundam Markers and thought I could run some blue into the seam lines... no blue. I wanted to do this, so in the end I used the black pen. They are very easy to use, and fairly simple to clean up if you go outside the lines.   With that I was all done.   Thanks for looking.
IMG_3276.jpg

IMG_3277.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/16/2019 at 11:44 PM, sprueguy said:

Where do you get these kits? Your work is always great to see.

The best place I've found  to "hang out" is a forum called The Clubhouse ( www.theclubhouse1.net) . They have a bunch of sub forums, but it's  majority is figure kits. Three sub- forums in particular are the "Sculptors Forum" where guys show off their sculpting work, many of which go on to become kits. Susan was discovered this way. I actually watched the sculpt come together.  The other one is "New Kits, Special Offers, Coming soon" is a place where you can talk to the sculptor/producer to make your purchases of these new kits.  The 3rd is "Members Swap and Sell"  where members of the group sell off kits they no longer want.  The admins take special care to keep ppl from getting ripped off, in that one has to be a member for a certain amount of time, and is active in the forum community  to become a registered seller.

Two other places are for those who go to Facebook. One group is Figure Model Kits. It's a Show and Tell type of group, but the admins also allow sales.  Another similar group is called Resin Maniacs.  Both have friendly people who will give advise when asked, and you see kits for sale from time to time.   HTH.

• Like 1