Devonoan Tadpole Specimen

Roktman

This is an interesting little kit from Garage Kits.US.
It's my first what if kit... what if before coming in contact with the Creature from the Black Lagoon the scientists found some of it's tadpoles first.
The kit is just 2 parts - the head and body, and then the curly Q tail. The kit also comes with a jar and lid to further the specimen feel.

Knowing the colors for the Creature, I looked at the kit and the head seem to have little detail vs. the body which has very nice armored scales. I felt the head needed my squiggle pattern to give the animal some life under the skin -

Looking good so far, then an unexpected heavy shot of light green on the forehead obliterated most of the squiggles. 😕 So time to add more detail to the outer part of the skin.

I added various washes highlights to the skin and crevices. The eyes went thru 2 or 3 different versions. I wanted them to look real, but then again, it's a specimen in a jar... a dead specimen. So I left them without specific edges to the pupils and iris. I also left them slightly cloudy. Each paint layer is separated by a shot of clear Satin.

My idea next is to put a blob of hot glue on the bottom of the jar to keep him in place and then the liquid. Still not sure if I want to use tinted water or something else.
Check back, and thanks for looking.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got the little guy into his specimen jar.  It took a blob of hot glue, and then with the tail attached it needed to be cork screwed into the jar. So the glue got a little messier than I would have liked. Once it was in there and the glue cooled, I filled the jar with the Propylene glycol, and tightly screwed on the lid. Almost done.

I felt it needed a specimen label, so in MS Word I created one. Had a little look at the CFTBL movie info and got the year made, and doctor's name. Then I looked up "Aquatic Lizard Creature" and for a place - the Black Lagoon in Spanish and added that to the label.  I antiqued the label with a little Citadel sepia wash.

Much later, after it was stuck on, I remembered that Portuguese is spoken in Brazil, not Spanish... Oh well. 

Thanks for looking. 

IMG_3229.jpg

IMG_3230.jpg