1/32 Trumpeter F/A-18F Super Hornet custom

GabrielAbadi23

Hello dear forum members my name is Gabriel, I recently purchased a 1/32 Scale Trumpeter F/A-18F Super Hornet, from what I’ve read the model is pretty big, it will be my first time attempting to build a model on this scale I’ve built 1/72 and 1/48 F-18 but not in a professional way a few years ago.

So this time I want it to be serious so I could display it.

I would appreciate if someone could help me with some questions regarding this model.

So far I’ve bought

The model obviously

2 Martin Baker MK-14 ejection seats by Legend (I found them to be more accurate than Aires)

2 PJ production Pilots so I could put the JHMCS Helmets

Tamiya regular, white and building putty

Tamiya extra thin cement

1 Liquid Chrome pen

Tamiya Masking tape 6mm

Testors Clear Plastic glue

Tamiya Weathering powders

Microsol and Microset for the decals

Trumpeter 1/32 Scale Air to Air Missiles (planning on modifying and adding the AIM-9X missiles)

Eduards Cockpit, Exterior, Avionics and Searbelt Photoetched Parts.

Another bunch of decals for the cockpit from Airscale

Is there anything else I could need to build this thing or do you guys think I’ve bought everything I need?

Now for the part I really need your help is:

Since the model is that big, I wanted to make it as detailed as possible I would like to make some parts movable

Avionics Bay

Landing Gear doors

Canopy (so I could open and close it)

Refueling pod 

Retractable Landing Gear

Flaps

Foldable Wings

has this been done before?

I’m searching on google for some miniature hinges as that’s the only way I think I could make all of this open and close.

Also I’m planning on using some parts (like struts, tiny screws, springs and metal pins) from a Highly detailed BBR 1:18 Ferrari Enzo I have here that suffered a fall from a shelve and it’s all in pieces.

The Struts I think would work for the landing gear and canopy so I could replicate the folding parts.

I would appreciate any ideas or help on this matter so when everything arrives I would have an idea of what modifications I’ll need to do.

Thank you

THAT is an ambitious plan! Still, there's nothing to prevent you from doing it if you allow yourself enough time and patience to get all you want in and on there in the way you want.

Moving parts are always problematic. With the articulation of the Hornet's main gear, you'll need to study how it retracts on the real thing before trying to make it work on the scale parts. It won't be bad if it retract straight into the wells. But, if it twists, expands, or compresses during the retraction; that'll make it very complicated to do. Then there's the problem of fitting the gear doors. Making them hinge isn't the engineering problem that the gear poses, but getting them to fit EXACTLY without gaps or misalignment could be frustrating since they're probably not molded to be glued in the closed position and fit together tightly. The same would apply for any other access door you tackle.

You'll be doing as much or more engineering as modeling! I admire your imagination, but have almost zero experience with that type of building.,

There is a guy who's scratchbuilding a P-51B in 1/18 scale over on Hyperscale (and built a similar Spitfire a couple of years ago) out of metal. You might review his work just to get an idea of the way he engineers and makes all of his parts, inside and out. They are absolutely phenomenal and he's a true master builder! Best of luck!

Gil :smiley16: