Has 48 P-47D Razor

Weedeater

- So in 1998, our club (ASM/IPMS) hosted its first "Special" contest. It was different then the usual contests because it focused on a specific kit, instead of a general contest for all subjects. At the time, Hasegawa's P-47D Razorback had just been released and many of the club members were interested in seeing how each of us would build it. We all started out on one, and this is as far as I got on mine. When it became apparent that I wasn't going to meet the build deadline, I boxed it up and stuffed it on the shelf. A few years later, Tamiya released their P-47D Razorback and I picked one of them up too. IMHO, it is a better kit by a slight margin.

- A few days ago (Ten years later), I pulled this puppy back out and have decided that I should give it another shot. When I started it, I had intended to go all out, balls to the wall, detail feast with every after-market set I could find. It turns out that close examination of all that is available for the kit has revealed that not all detail accessories look right when compared to numerous photos. So I was picking and choosing which ones looked the best to me. Once the Tamiya kit came out, I wished I had dumped all this effort into it instead. I finally decided that I was just going to stop the addition of any further detailing on this kit and just plain ole "finish it!" After these shots were taken, I have since completed the cockpit and all fuselage interior detail touches and have the two halves glued together and sanded/prepped for wing mounting.

100_7716.jpg

100_7718.jpg

100_7720.jpg

100_7721.jpg

100_7722.jpg

100_7723.jpg

- More pics to follow, if you're interested.

Very nice. Our club did a same kit build a couple years ago. Airfix 737 commercial airliner. Someone made a drone from it. Someone made a sub from the kit. I slapped on a Hooters Air livery. Many did not finish but with a kit that is less than $10 no one really lost. It was the only plane I have built since my teen years. Really, what would I know about needing to add nose weight or how to handle gappy wing roots. Mine wasn't great but it was a lot of fun and I did learn a few things.

I don't see how you could take such an amaging start on a project and just box it up for 10 years. I will enjoy watching the rest of this progress to completion.

Ken,

I don't do airplanes. Why is there two different shades of green on the inside of the fuselage? I thought it was all zinc chromate green? The shots look great and can't wait to see the finished product.

Mark

Ken,

I don't do airplanes. Why is there two different shades of green on the inside of the fuselage? I thought it was all zinc chromate green? The shots look great and can't wait to see the finished product.

Mark

Hi Mark. Thanks for asking and I won't hold anything against you as a Treadie for not knowin, LOL :smiley15::smiley4: .

- Yes, the preponderance of WWII US aircraft guts are painted that Zinc Chromate "Green" you usually see. But there is something to do with the application of the Zinc Chromate part and the coloration when you only get the Zinc Chromate "Yellow". I'm sure some of our chemically knowledged members can explain it better.

- In the case of the P-47, various production batches received what appears to be a greater amount of the Yellow verses the Green. On which parts of the aircraft exactly and why, I do not know. After I plowed over almost a dozen reference books, I could never reach a definitive answer as to which parts did or didn't get the yellow "everytime!" So, this is my best guess-timation on what I think were the differences in color applications. I hope that helps and didn't muddie the water further.

........I don't see how you could take such an amaging start on a project and just box it up for 10 years. I will enjoy watching the rest of this progress to completion.

- I guess I shelved it out of embarrassment and discused of myself for having failed to complete it in time for the contest. No one will ever know if mine was the best one on the table that day or not (because I didn't finish it :smiley6: ). Then when the Tamiya release came out I sqwormed around the idea of whether to finish the Has start or rip it all out and try to fit it into the Tam kit. The latter choice being a looney idea. After building so many other models over the past ten years (no where near as many as I would have liked to have finished) the fire was finally stoked under my procrastinating, embarrassed arse and I've dug out a "started" model to see if I can get it finished.

- Thanks to all for the kind comments and support so far. And I hope you enjoy the rest of the build/digi's. Model on, Brothers of the Sprue. :smiley20::smiley4:

Lovely detailing, especially the screening in the waste gates. I also admire your finish in the cockpit. Very sharp details combined with good weathering. Keep the pics coming!

GIL :smiley16:

Great work thus far!

Looking forward to seeing the finished project.

Thanks for the comments and inspiration to continue, fellow model-dudes. I'm glad you enjoy it and hope to post more pics soon. Model on, Brothers of the Sprue.