New Airfix Blehheim IV, 1/72

Ron Bell

The new Airfix kits are quite possibly the best value around, dollar for detail. Lot's of detail, inside and out with alternate version parts. One problem they all have is that the molds are cut from CAD drawings and have extremely fine tolerances. So much so that the finest mold seam line or sprue attachment point or tiniest of misalignments can keep fuselage halves from closing over detailed interiors. You have to check and re-check as you go along and even then, go real slowly when you are inserting major parts into the interior to make sure everything fits around them. This is a kit where lots went wrong, the most visible of which is the light tan on the top came out too greenish and the brown came out a too bright reddish brown. It's not terrible, but it wold never pass muster at a serious contest. But, take a look at it here to see what this new Airfix kit is all about. The nose section is a separate unit that is glued to the rear fuselage at the wing root. This was done to facilitate Airfix being able to use more common parts for its Mk I version with a different nose section. Due to those close tolerances, you can get some pretty hairy to fill seams right up next to the glass parts. Which brings me to the last failing, the order of assembly. They say to assemble the entire rear of the aircraft including the wing to fuselage joint, then add the completed front section. After wrestling with all these joints in two of these kits, I suggest you build it in the more traditional left-right halves. Then join the top of the wings to its joint to ensure you've got a tight fit, then add the bottom of the wing structure. I think you'll get fewer hard to fill seams and better alignment this way. Some Edward PE parts were added to my landing gear bays as well.  

45441599404_05d581914c_c.jpg

46165783921_5571867501_c.jpg

46165785001_4cd7b7a76d_c.jpg

45441601844_96250ddaeb_c.jpg

45441605724_03902e2f7f_c.jpg

• Like 1

Nice, sharp glass work Ron. If I'd only seen the pic of the landing gear and not known it was 1/72...I'd have guessed 1/48. I can see what you meant about how nicely detailed it is. Congrats on getting another Brit on your shelf!

GIL :cool: