Out of the Box

Dakimbrell

As I looked at my 1/35th Takom Panther tank, several things occurred to me...….

First, over the past twenty-five years, I have been building more models basically from the box. This is not out of laziness, but simply because the kits have improved and I don't need to add lots of detail like it was in the late seventies. Long past are the days of digging through the discarded parts box or hoarding railroad detail parts for that "special" project.

Next was that these newer generation of models have extremely complexed instruction sheets and no one would have time.... at a contest... to carefully go through and see if the contestant conformed to the instructions and did not add a few parts.

Third, even with a much simpler kit, how would the judges KNOW that the contestant had not substituted aftermarket parts to replace kit parts. Things like wheel/tires, weapons, exhausts, etc. Could you tell if the aircraft seat was the kit part or aftermarket without being personally familiar with the kit. Of course, a second model of the same kit might be a give-a-way.

Last, maybe OOB has seen it's day. I know it is popular, but as newer kits come along it stands to reason it will become more and more difficult to tell the difference in the OOB and regular categories.

Thoughts?

Dak

Two thoughts:(1) I have been judging at the Nationals and every level below for over 25 years. I have NEVER looked at the  instructions except to see if they were there if that contest's rules required them to be. I trust my fellow modelers. There are very few cheats. And anyone who does feel the need to cheat is such a poor modeler to begin with that he or she is never in the running anyway. (2) PLEASE, at this festive time of the year, don't open this can of worms again. Happy Holidays. Regards, Nick Filippone, Senior National Judge

Nick, Time of the year is immaterial. Actually, I think there are extremely few cheats at an IPMS contest. But my remarks are merely observations and that you refer to it as a "can of worms" seems a clear indicator there may be more serious problems than I thought. Personally, I don't give a lead zeppelin about the category, except.....as I imply… that one day it may be hard to tell what the difference between OOB and everything else.

Dak

My intentionally tongue in cheek remarks were less for your benefit and more for that of the other veterans of this Forum who will easily recall how many times the OOB category debate - ad nauseam- has been beaten to death over the years. I meant no offense. If your post does not ignite yet another discussion whose repetitiveness will be exceeded only by the ennui it will engender in those of us who have suffered through it so many times before, I will be simultaneously very surprised and overflowing with Christmas Joy. Nick " I've heard it all a million times before" (apologies to Petula Clark) Filippone. 

• Like 1

Please keep in mind, my post was not intended to debate the merits of OOB, but as an observation that the state of model kits seems to be changing the nature of the OOB concept. When OOB categories were started in the early eighties, there were only two 1/35th Panther kits and both were shells with vinyl tracks. Both had holes in the bottom for motorized parts. On the Tamiya kit, you could see through the engine deck grills to the tracks. To do any version other than the kit, you had no choice but to start scratch building and modifications.

Today, you can model virtually any version of the Panther, with or without zimmerit and have a partial to full interior, out of the box. Times have changed. However, it is also true, a simple model done well can beat a complexed model done poorly. 

Dak

Edited by Dakimbrell