Red Iron's Luna 2

Roktman

Needing a break from my figures, I pulled out a relatively recent get from Red Iron Models - it's the Luna 2 .
From the site:

Luna 2 (E-1A series) or Lunik 2 was the second of the Soviet Unions Luna program spacecraft launched to the Moon. It was the first spacecraft to reach the surface of the moon and the first man-made object to land on another celestial body. On September 13, 1959, it hit the Moon's surface east of Mare Imbrium near the craters Aristides, Archimedes, and Autolycus. 

From the above, "land" is a relative term. It actually "landed" going full speed. 😉  Inside it contained a capsule of Sodium, so that when it crashed a plume of sodium rose out of the crater, hit the sunlight, and was able to be see from Earth.
 The 1:35 scale kit comes in  10 parts including some wire and a lunar landscape base. It was a very easy kit to build. I had it finished in 2 hours. 

IMG_3116.jpg
The parts break down including one page of instructions

IMG_3117.jpg
After removing the pour plug, an interesting attachment point(s)

IMG_3118.jpg
The bus built and just before  the wire antenna added

IMG_3119.jpg
Antenna added

After getting the kit built according to directions, I noticed the two "L" shaped bottom parts were too long compared to illustrations. I will have to removed them and shorten the wires.

i0281rp.jpg

You can see how small the bottom parts were.

• Like 1

Picking up from the last session, I removed those 2 bottom parts and shorten the wires. Once glued on I gave it a shot of gloss black primer and let that dry. when dry I gave it a shot of V's Metallics Chrome.  

The base was given black primer spray - matte this time, and then masked off the lunar soil, and gave the label area a shot of V's Duraluminum just for some contrast. The soil was then dry brushed in 3 levels of gray paint. even tho the crate was small, I tried to show some rays coming from it.  And it was done. Thanks for looking. 

IMG_3126.jpg

IMG_3127.jpg