Trumpeter 1/35th scale MI-24V HIND-D

Bradley25mm

https://flic.kr/s/aHskwih6yd. This is probably the one model I was the most nervous about doing a pin wash with artist oils. As per my previous post, I’m still using enamels about 90% of the time. I use Testors Model Master line of paints. I had to do a test run on an old model first to see if it would work. The Dull Coat is the only line of defense to keep the wash from eating the paint below. Because of this, I apply the Dull Coat from a can. I mist the models several times to build up a good coat.

Even after I practiced on a scrap model, I was still a little apprehensive. I took a very fine tipped brush, and applied the wash to each individual rivet. For any panel lines, I pretty much let gravity do the work. After letting everything dry for about four hours, I took a clean cotton cloth, dampened with mineral spirits, and wiped off the excess wash in the direction of the airflow.  I am starting to experiment with acrylics. 

Super looking results! I use MM paints also and have repeated problems with washes, particularly getting them to wipe off without staining areas I didn't intend to weather. Looks like your very reserved approach of applying them in very small amounts helps a lot. Is there a reason you used the Dullcoat instead of their canned gloss coat? The generally accepted theory is that washes "flow" better over gloss, and the flat coats actually tend to absorb washes a bit. Heck of a nice looking Hind!

GIL :cool:

Thanks gentlemen for the nice comments. I’ve never tried a gloss coat before. I know exactly what your talking about when you mentioned “staining” unwanted areas with a flat overcoat on them. If I experience staining, I just scrub alittle harder.  I’ll definitely try a gloss coat the next model I build. Thanks for the info Gil.