Dragon 1/35th scale UH-1N Construction

Bradley25mm

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmtPig8K. Moving right along on this build and having a really fun time. This is the third Dragon Huey that I’ve built. Working on individual parts for thConstructione cockpit, and crew compartment. Since everything is black, I decided to dry brush everything with artist oils. In the past, I would normally dry brush black part with silver  enamel. I decided to give this a try to see what kit of effect I could get.

I love trying new things. Some time ago, I built Academy’s F/A-18D. I had to reproduce  a textured surface for the ordinance . I purchased a can of Testor Fabric Gray. Worked pretty will for me. The 2.75”  rocket pods on a Huey helicopter have a textured surfaces on them.  I decided to use the fabric great again, and I had really good results time. After everything dried for 24 hours, I dry brushed the outside of the rocket pods with artist oils.

One of the things that has been difficult for me to replicate, is the disco ball, or IR jammer surface color.  A good friend of mine recommended that I go to a party supply store for  different types of foil that would be close to the real surface.  What I found was a small pin yada for five dollars that had foil that was closest to the actual disco ball colors.  I cut the foil down in very small strips and glued to the surface  of the disco ball with superglue .

I spent more time correcting the main rotor head than anything else on the kit. Since this is going to a pilot that actually flew these in the Marines, I wanted to get things as accurate as possible. The only thing that I’m not going to correct is the overstated rivets.  I also took the liberty of adding sandpaper to the landing skids as a nonslip surface. I look forward to  completing this one.