Good Plastic Model Sailing Ship??

Narampa

Hello I need help in finding a good plastic sailing ship model.

I purchased a Revelle kit of the USS Constitution and what a disappointment.

Can you recommend a good quality ship as it must be plastic. I live in a Condo and am not able to build a wooden model even though it would be my first choice.

Thank you.

Just to get a feel for what you are looking for, what shortcomings did you find in the Revell kit? Oh, and which one did you have, they had a smaller scale one and a larger one. The smaller one has gone through several iterations, most to "simplify" it for younger modelers. 

The 1/150 scale Revell "Vasa" is one the best plastic sailing ship kits around today reflecting the more up-to-date tooling.  The Revell Constitution kits, while good quality for their time, show the mold's age and dated engineering and tooling technology.  Both of which I am sure you noticed.  The Vasa is also manufactured by Revell Germany (I think), which usually turns out better quality products.

FWIW.

6 hours ago, Ron Bell said:

Just to get a feel for what you are looking for, what shortcomings did you find in the Revell kit? Oh, and which one did you have, they had a smaller scale one and a larger one. The smaller one has gone through several iterations, most to "simplify" it for younger modelers. 

Thanks for the reply ! The kit I have is KIT#0398. I believe it is 1/96 scale. And I understand the latest kit.

The Deck at the rear of the ship was too wide on one side and narrow on the other. I had to splice in material on one side and remove on the other. Not exactly what I wanted in a model kit. Looking from the rear I still have a gap.

I thought at first the hull was warped but it was very uniform throughout.

I have not built a ship for over 40 years and am not sure if this is the norm or not.

18 minutes ago, Rusty White said:

The 1/150 scale Revell "Vasa" is one the best plastic sailing ship kits around today reflecting the more up-to-date tooling.  The Revell Constitution kits, while good quality for their time, show the mold's age and dated engineering and tooling technology.  Both of which I am sure you noticed.  The Vasa is also manufactured by Revell Germany (I think), which usually turns out better quality products.

FWIW.

Thank you. 

I wanted to stay with a bigger model do to my age and other issues such as fingers that really don't work as they once did.

I will post some pictures in the near future .

Surprised to find that you had problems with the big Constitution kit. This was released way back in the 60's or 70's as was the Cutty Sark and CSS Alabama kits in the same scale. Ignore the big scale Thermopylae and Pedro Nunes kits as Revell used the Cutty Sark hull mouldings for these. The Thermopylae became the Pedro Nunes when sold to the Portuguese Navy, and the hull lines are quite different to the Cutty Sark so incorrect for those ships. The CSS Alabama hull was used for the Kearsarge. In reality the Alabama was 12 feet longer so again wrong to use for the Kearsarge.

Revell Vasa is a nice kit albeit smaller in 1/150th scale and build well.   Heller's 100th scale Victory is one of the finest large plastic ship kits around.

Edited by noelsmith

Hello Again 

Here are some picture of my model of the Constitution.

The problem that I pointed out was the left rear corner, as you can see there is quite a gap and to correct this would have taken skills beyond mine. The deck and the width would have to have been altered. What I had planned to do is either display it so that the  gap is not visible or cover it with a tarp or something that would be found on a ship of that era.

One person that I read about actually garbaged  his kit because of this. I don't have the funds to throw $150 out.

The color of the hull represents weathered copper as per pics on the internet of the real ship prior to restoration. I also will build my own sails out of tissue paper. A method I used years ago.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

IMG_4075.JPG

IMG_4081.JPG

IMG_4076.JPG

IMG_4082.JPG

Judging from the rounded end on the railing end and the continuation of the roping decoration, what you have here is a "short shot". That's where the plastic does not make it all the way into the ends of the mold. Not too surprising in molds of this age. It's not a design flaw, it's a manufacturing one. If you had mailed the part and explanation back to Revell, I bet they would have replaced the part. 

29 minutes ago, Ron Bell said:

Judging from the rounded end on the railing end and the continuation of the roping decoration, what you have here is a "short shot". That's where the plastic does not make it all the way into the ends of the mold. Not too surprising in molds of this age. It's not a design flaw, it's a manufacturing one. If you had mailed the part and explanation back to Revell, I bet they would have replaced the part. 

Wow from your description it sounds like you have a lot of experience. Thank you for your comments. I have not built a model for 40 years and thought it would have been a good way to pass the time in old age.

Revell wins this round mainly because of my lack of experience and a not even knowing at what point I had recognized I had a problem. Let alone my lack of being able to scribe the condition. But I have learned a lesson and will not be buying anything from Revell in the future.

So what would you suggest in the future as your explanation of the problem is amazing and I could not even come close to explaining it?

First off, don't rule out Revell. Like I said, it they had had the opportunity,, I'm sure they would have made good on the part. 99% of the time, their kits are fine. I'd say if you're interested in a particular subject, post a note here asking what kit people recommend. You'll et lot's of responses.  

• 1 month later...

Check out the ship’s forum on the Fine Scale Modeler website-  that seems to be the place to go for a lot of plastic sailing ship builders.  You will find multiple, very detailed build logs there for the big Revell Constitution.  

Looking at your photo, I don’t think the part was short shot- it is symmetrical, and has the square notch for the boat davits. I think the issue is caused by the stern being too wide— are you sure the decks are fully seated in their mounts against the hull sides? An error there, especially with the spar deck, would push the sides out enough to cause fit problems for the stern.

I would suggest asking for help over on the FSM forum....

15 hours ago, rcboater said:

Check out the ship’s forum on the Fine Scale Modeler website-  that seems to be the place to go for a lot of plastic sailing ship builders.  You will find multiple, very detailed build logs there for the big Revell Constitution.  

Looking at your photo, I don’t think the part was short shot- it is symmetrical, and has the square notch for the boat davits. I think the issue is caused by the stern being too wide— are you sure the decks are fully seated in their mounts against the hull sides? An error there, especially with the spar deck, would push the sides out enough to cause fit problems for the stern.

I would suggest asking for help over on the FSM forum....

Thank you  for your comments.

I will be looking at fine scale modeler and yes I do believe you are right.

I have rechecked the decks and I believe they are seated. Now that you mention it I wonder if the lower deck might be out, can't see it with the upper in place.

I will continue with the assembly as I an sure I can make it right.