Military aviation history of Memphis, TN area

Mississippivol

I started an odyssey in 2015 to build a short history of military aircraft that flew in the west Tennessee, eastern Arkansas, and northern Mississippi area around Memphis, TN. It seems to have birthed around World War II, and it has ebbed and flowed over the last several decades, and it still continues. I have a representation of most all the major places, but the more I do, the more I find! Featured below is the running tally in order of build:

The first build wasn't the one that started my interest, but it got the ball rolling. Thanks to Sword for producing this kit, with ready made markings. It is a 1.72 T-28B, with markings for ATU-105 at Millington NAS in the 1950s. Neat little kit, though it had very weak landing gear. I tried making seat belts from Milliput, eh, won't do that again!

20150529_150717_zpsyfdifyyq.jpg

20150529_150655_zps7q7lbbhl.jpg

• Like 1

The second build is from the base that sparked my interest. From cotton fields at Halls, TN, outside of Dyersburg, sprang a giant training base, that provided final training for B-17 crews headed to Europe. It was only operational for a few years, and closed immediately after the cessation of hostilities. Only the Norden bombsight storage building and maybe one hangar is left, along with the airstrip. This particular build is of the very first "F" production model that was based there in 1945. It was said to have crashed a year or so earlier during a test flight, but there is a photo of this bird at Dyersburg. 

IMG_20170524_190736_zps4xed4naw (1).jpg

• Like 1

The third build is of a Stearman. It was based on a photo from the website of what is now McKellar Sipes airport in Jackson, TN, which started out as a primary training base. There were several such places in the area, though I can't remember the names offhand. It was only a partial picture, so I didn't guess at the serial. Revell 1.72 kit with a scratchbuilt cockpit.

20160226_172143_zpsvc4zijco.jpg

20160208_161732_zpseid9pat8 (1).jpg

20160208_161555_zpsdhhtfeu9 (1).jpg

• Like 1

Next was a B-52G from Blytheville, AR. Blytheville started as a primary training base, closed, then reopened in the mid 50's with a B-57 unit. SAC took it over, and had the 52s until the early 90s. This is Miss Piggy from the late 70s/early 80s. Minicraft 1.144  "H" kit with a Golden Dragon "G" conversion kit. Only used the engines, external tanks, and rear fuselage plug (which had to be corrected). Made the under nose sensors from Milliput(fine for a four footer, never was happy with it.)

20160518_094814_zpsno9nnegf.jpg

20160518_094754_zps1simv01n.jpg

• Like 1

20180420_200550.thumb.jpg.81732c8d3588ef67589112660098debb.jpgI finally found this C-17 kit at a Hobbytown in Flowood, MS. It seemed a difficult kit to find for me until I ran across it. Thanks to Draw Decals for having markings for Memphis Belle XI of the National Guard unit here in Memphis. She is usually at the local Blue Angel shows around here.

• Like 1

Thanks, Gil! Sorry I forgot that, it's the 1/72 scale Revell of Germany kit. On deck, I have a Revell of Germany UH60 for the National Guard aviation unit in Jackson, TN, and I just picked up a Toko P-63 kit to model one that was tdy at Dyersburg when it crashed just southwest of Hernando, MS in October, 1945 after an incident with a couple of B-17s.

Edited by Mississippivol

• 2 years later...

Glenn, we seem to think along the same lines. I started building my collection of military aircraft stationed in Tennessee - active or reserve - in 2016. Since I build almost exclusively in 72nd scale, that rules out some subjects due to the size of the resultant model, or the lack of a kit in that scale. So far I have 34 finished models with several kits yet to build. Shelf space prevents me from building the big ones. That PBY just barely fits on the shelf. The variety of markings over the years led me to make some of my own decals, as well as buying some custom-made ones. All my models are based on photos I have collected, mainly from the web, but some from other sources

I belong to the IPMS*Memphis chapter. We meet once a month in one of 2 locations in either Cordova, TN or Olive Branch, MS  -since half of our members live in OB.

BTW, you do excellent work with the models.

IMG_3224.jpg

Edited by hundriver
duplicate attachments
  • Like 2