Tenax

GHonanie

There's a thread on Modeling Madness, and the consensus seems to be "yep, Tenax is extinct".

That being said, I've never used it--I prefer Ambroid's ProWeld or (when I can't get Ambroid) Plastruct's Plastic Weld and Bondene. I swear by the Ambroid stuff, a friend swears at it because he's had ghosting where he's glued a seam--the glue bonds quick, but takes a while to fully cure and evaporate, which leaves a ghost of the seam. He builds much quicker than I do, since by the time I finish a model the glue has long evaporated. I have little trouble addressing the ghosting.

Lately, though, I've been using the thin CA from Hobby Lobby. I don't normally like to use CA for a build, but when I've needed a fast bond, this stuff is the bomb. I bought a 1/4 oz. bottle a while back, and I've not lost a drop due to the glue curing/gelling in the bottle.

Ralph

I recommend Weld-On #4. It can occasionally be found in hobbyshops, but I mail order it from Ridout Plastics in San Diego. A 1/4 PINT can cost about $6(+or-). I ordered 10 cans a year ago and still have about 6-7 cans left, after selling a couple to guys in my club. This stuff is the BEST weld cement I've ever used. It's only downside is that it will evaporate quickly in a hot environment (like my garage) if you leave te bottle uncapped. Other than that, it's great! Ordering the 1/4 pint cans is cheaper than buying it in the smaller bottles at any shop. Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

I enjoy using the Tenax, it didn't seem to evaporate out as quickly as the Ambroid. Especially when I load the Touch n Flow with it.

Ralph, how long does the Ambroid take to fully cure? How does the Plastruct glue compare to the Tenax?

Glenn

I enjoy using the Tenax, it didn't seem to evaporate out as quickly as the Ambroid. Especially when I load the Touch n Flow with it.

Ralph, how long does the Ambroid take to fully cure? How does the Plastruct glue compare to the Tenax?

Glenn

I can't really say--I usually can get back to a model once a week, and haven't had problems. So, I'd say maybe a few days would let the Ambroid cure completely...

As for the Plastruct stuff, their Plastic Weld is strong stuff-basically MEK and Chloroform and is intended to be used with their ABS shapes. It can cause glue sinks for weeks after if you use too much. I only use it where I'm having difficulty using any other solvent-type cement and where I know I have a few weeks to allow for any sinks to apear. I learned this the hard way--I used it almost exclusively early on, and almost every model I used it on developed a glue sink where the plastic was thin, especially wing trailing edges. It does develop a strong bond, though--if you need to break the seam, you'll break the part first. It makes the "bead of plastic" filler technique easy, since it dissolves the styrene very quickly.

I'd rate the Plastruct Bondene (which Plastruct intends for styrene) down the scale after ProWeld and maybe even Tamiya's Extra Thin. It ranks there with Testors Liquid Cement--truth be told, I haven't seen the Bondene around lately.

I had forgotten about the Weld-On line of products. Gil is correct--Weld-On #4 is good stuff, as is Weld-On #3. I'd rate them right up there with ProWeld.

Ralph

If I want a quick bind that can be handled in a couple of minutes, I use Ambroid. I've also found it useful as a coat over another glued surface that is fragile. Scratchbuilt the handrails on the Revell Flower. After they were on the ship, I coated them with Ambroid. That made them a lot stronger.

Pro-Weld works pretty well also. I am still a major user of Testors liquid glue. Just have to wait for the SLOW set time. Probably a good thing that I don't build aircraft.

- My primary choice of adhesive is PlastiZap CA. I can assemble and sand in one sitting. However, there are still many occassions when I want a solvent adhesive and Tenax has been my favorite for years after I had too much difficulties finding Weld-On (3 and 4) which, up until Gil's post, I thought had been discountinued. Thanks for that little tip Gil. :smiley20:

- When I saw this thread, I ran over to our town's two primary HS's and found both supplies empty/gone. When I inquired with each, the response was either, "We haven't been able to get that in since last year," or "Yep, it's no longer being made!"

- FYI, I work at a National Lab where we had a need for solvent adhesives. Up until 4 years ago, my dept stocked Pro Weld. I have used it both at work and at home and thought that it was a little too harsh and lacked some of my preferences found in Tenax. So I suggested they get some of the Tenax instead, and they did. Less than a year later, the EPA guys at the lab surveyed our chemical supplies, including the Tenax and the Pro Weld. They returned a finding that the Pro Weld's Methylene Chloride was a bad thing and restricted us to use it only under a fume hood. But it was OK to use the Tenax without the fume hood. So, we ditched the Pro Weld and kept the Tenax. Something to think about as you're dribbling Pro Weld along your next seam.

- Conclusion: I thought I was going to miss the Tenax. Now, I'm going to follow Gil's tip and get some Weld On. Model on, Brothers of the Sprue. :smiley14:

Over on Steelnavy site their talking about Tenax being discontinued. I'd say if you like it, you'd better get a case or two. I'm not too concerned about Pro-Weld. I doubt whether the quantities I use are all that hazardous. At work I was regularly exposed to a lot of chemicals (MEK, tricloreythelene, hexane, caustic soda, clorine, SO2, and clorine dioxide to name a few) in much higher doses and am still alive and kicking.

While I have used Tenax in the past, I too prefer the WELD ON as mentioned above. In my case I use Weld-On 3.

Our local group bought a case many many years ago, and I still have a full tin and a half here. When you really compare the price, it was quite cheap!

While I have used Tenax in the past, I too prefer the WELD ON as mentioned above. In my case I use Weld-On 3.

Our local group bought a case many many years ago, and I still have a full tin and a half here. When you really compare the price, it was quite cheap!

For those of you in the greater Phoenix area, I have found a source for Weld-On in Chandler, called Port Plastics. They're opened 8-5 weekdays. It's close to where I work so I'm planning to go there one afternoon next week. They confirmed over the phone they have both Weld-On 3 and Weld-on 4.

Igraduated from Tenax to Tamiya Extra Thin Cenent a couple of years back. I like it much better. It also gives me that extra couple of seconds between a smooth join and the bottle of CA to fix the "step" at the seamline.

If you really like Tenax ( I know I do) just go to www.micromark.com and type in the search "Same Stuff" They are selling a copy cat glue and it is the same stuff :smiley20:

Igraduated from Tenax to Tamiya Extra Thin Cenent a couple of years back. I like it much better. It also gives me that extra couple of seconds between a smooth join and the bottle of CA to fix the "step" at the seamline.

Is Tenax being discontinued because of the hazards? If so, and the Samestuff is the same formula, won't they be discontinued also?

Funny you should mention EBAY. There is one seller offering it @ $3.25 and says he has more than 10 available.

WELL! It turns out that, acoording to rumor control, the grapevine and a modeler to be named later, TENAX was never removed/banned from the market place. It appears that the owner/maker was off attending to personal matters. According to the aforementioned sources, TENAX should be back on hobby shelves soon or by the end of the month.

But, will it be sold in California? I remember reading the label that said it may cause cancer in California. Luckily, I live in Washington, so I guess I'm safe.

Glad to hear that, Pyrman! I like the "hotness" of the Tenax. Sometimes, Tamiya Thin isn't up to the job...not often, but sometimes.

Duke, I'm guessing that, given your build rate, you buy it in one gallon bottles.... :)

Awesome! Thanks for the update Pyrman. Hopefully I'll be able to get more now.