Wash vs. Tamiya Accent

Rangers1

Hi,

new to the hobby and watched a few videos where after painting the modeler washed the entire model.  So I bought Tamiya Black and Brown Accent.  Is Accent the same as a wash?  Should I just use Accent to highlight welds, rivets and around hatches?  What is the best method to give an M109 in Vallejo Sand base color a nice weathered look? 

Thanks for reading

• 2 months later...

Not sure if anyone else knows the difference either judging by the lack of response you received. I have used neither as I tend to use artists acrylics that I can mix and thin right down with water. All I can advise is that as you have those Tamiya products, get a dead cheap kit and get the base colour(s) on and experiment until you get the desired effects that are pleasing to you. You will quickly get the hang of it as it is just a matter of getting your own practice in. Videos are a good source of inspiration, don't get me wrong, but there is no substitute for having a go yourself. Do not get hung up on wasting a cheap kit or some of your Tamiya product whilst going through your own learning curve.

Hi Rich! I'm sort of in the same boat as you, wondering EXACTLY how to use the Tamiya Panel Line Accent stuff. I've had it and been using it for a while now, with a little success and quite a few disappointments.

It flows well and is VERY good for "pin washes" and accenting panel lines and raised lines on landing gear legs (etc.). As the videos above show, just touch it to a line and it flows very well. I do recommend using a gloss coat before hand. It makes wiping off slop easier....which brings me to the problems....

When trying to use it as a "wash" over a broad area, I've had trouble removing it. I've tried water and I've tried Tamiya thinner. It seems it either doesn't come off, or as I scrub it starts to remove the gloss coat AND the paint below! And this is over a LACQUER clear gloss and enamel paints!  😧

After watching a few videos, I saw that a couple of people used "lighter fluid" (Naptha) to thin it (not really needed) and/or remove it. I haven't tried that yet....

Anyway, I'm afraid to try to use it as a "broad wash" (as like when you want to do an entire wing to get into the rivets as well as the lines), and I'm going to try some Velejo wash instead for that.

There's lots of different kinds of washes out there to choose from. If you want a PERFECTLY safe wash, grind up some pastel chalk (VERY finely) and mix it with water and a couple of drops of liquid dish washing soap. It WILL wipe off easily with plain water; you just have to be careful you don't remove it from where you want it. BUT, the good news is: no staining and any sloppy mistakes can be completely erased. And, if you do remove too much...just apply more and try again. Also, it needs to be sealed with another clear coat when done.

Hope this helps....My best advice based on my experience with the Tamiya Accent stuff is that i'st great for accenting things, but don't brush it over broad areas.

Perhaps someone with more experience will post soon and tell us both how to safely remove the excess completely!

GIL :cool:

Gil, I think that the Tamiya wash is probably an acrylic.  Having used artists acrylics even a very thin wash once dry becomes permanent and impervious to various removal agents. This may be the root cause of the problem you had. There are various artists inks that can be tried (the non waterproof variety) as a wash when thinned or for picking out detail by capillary action.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry. Didn't see this thread until just now. To me The Tamiya Accent has more pigment in it that the Vallejo and Citadel Wash I use. . I just use it for panel lines. After applying a gloss I apply it directly to the panel lines. It runs along nicely and then wipe any overflow with a Q Tip with spirits.  I have seen You Tube videos where the guy (Alex Modeling) will spread it over a panel or section, and after letting it sit for a minute or two wipe the excess away.

For washes I really like the Citadel stuff. It's not as pigment dense and though it will take more than one coat to get a darker covering. I feel it gives me more control.   If I want it darker from the get go, I use the Vallejo stuff. The other thing in favor of these two is that they are water clean up where I need spirits for the Tamiya stuff. HTH.