To all the gizmologist- how to wire an aircraft

PeteJ

This is for all the gizmologist out there whe randomly run wires all over an aircraft.  This is how real aircraft are wired.  All carefully run and orderly.  Bundles properly secured and tied.  The is a rewire job on a KC-135R

No automatic alt text available.

• Like 1

I've found that the thing that makes modeler's wiring bundles look the most realistic isn't how they're run, but adding those bundle wrap straps and end connectors. Those little details, along with some sharp painting and washes, are what really make them appear authentic to me.

GIL :smiley16:

• Like 1

As a semi-retired aviation wire stringer, smoke herder, electron wrangler, and spark chaser, a good looking, well-tied, well-routed, and well-secured wire bundle--whether in scale or in the 1:1--makes me smile.  The neater they are, the easier they are to work on later.

Also note that most modern (since the 1970's, at least) wire has a white jacket.  Sure, you *can* get it in colors, but for the most part it is white (easier logistics and inventory control).  Yeah, I know--"White is visually boring!"  And yet it happened...as Gil says, the visual interest comes in the bundle ties and cable clamps.

Geek stuff, or trivia you can use to stump your know-it-all uncle when he starts making wisecracks at the Thanksgiving table:  Most aviation-approved wire these days is M22759/16 (single conductor or twisted, unshielded conductors) or M27500 (shielded conductor with a shielding braid) series with a Tefzel jacket.  At one point, Kapton was used as the insulating jacket, but it proved to be troublesome.  I've seen Kapton deteriorate to the point that it looks like beads on a string.

Most modern MIL-C-17 RF cable jackets are now a bronzeish-copperish-goldish tone.  They used to be black.

These days, too, some systems use Cat 5 databus cable.  These usually have a light blue jacket.

Some specialty systems and low-loss cables have clear red, clear blue, or lime green jackets.

Just so y'all know.  :)

Now, I'll give bonus points to anyone who tries to replicate the actual wire numbers...  😄

Cheers!

Ralph

Um, ok, I would definitely be out of the running for that. LOL 😉

But my $$ would be on Dave Demek (sp?)  from PLASMO You Tube channel for having the talent to recreate that.  🙂