S&M Models 1/76 Stalwart

Ron Bell

If I had to guess, I'd guess that this kit originated from the JB Model company. It's molded like their's are, it used clear parts for the entire cab as their's did and it has the same level of detail. I've heard JB had planned a Stalwart but never got around to it. If so, then it's a good guess this is it. 

The kit is released by S&M Models. Aptly named as assembling it was an exercise in Sado-Masochism. There are no locating pips, holes, ribs, grooves or anything. They give you measurements as to how far back from the front of the vehicle the suspension should be and you have to transfer that to your kit parts. The cab's slab sides are joined by beveled edges, not butt joints. This would seem to make getting seamless corners easier, but since the parts are clear, you have to be extremely careful of alignment as you can't see the parts very well, they being clear. And for some reason, they did not mold the holes in the backs of the tires so you can put them on the axles. You have to drill them out. There is a tiny PE fret with the cage for over the exhaust, head light guards, wheel hubs and a windshield wiper. S&M has the kit in several variants, but all are basically the same. The only difference being the presence of the on board crane or not. With the exception of the cargo, which came from the spares bin, mine is out of the box and has it's flaws, but doesn't look too bad if you don't look too closely. 

30749639728_4f8ab81aea_c.jpg

44620718721_142a5613ca_c.jpg

29682018647_a2876d1471_c.jpg

30749641508_1a6927b684_c.jpg

Very nice job Ron! I commend you on such and exceptional job on such a difficult kit. Should I ever get a Stalwart, I think I'll stick with the ACE kit. Being a very recent release of theirs, the ACE Stalwart is an excellent kit.

Thanks for posting this information and congrats on completing such an incredible model from so difficult a kit.