Alclad vs. AK xtreme metal and true metal

Kartal

Altin:

Couple differences- primary one is AlClad is a lacquer and AK is enamel. AlClad requires a base coat (I use Tamiya Gloss black) for all colors while the enamel needs no base coat except for the high shine colors like  chrome. For either, prep work on the plastic is critical. Both can produce great looking kits. I can say that AlClad, especially the Chrome and the like can be a little delicate for handling but I do not know if AK is the same

Dave

I've used both at different times, and like them both. That said, in my experience the AK Metalics are easier to use than Alclad.

As David emphasized, both need the same exacting prep work- a smooth as glass finish. Alclad is a little more forgiving since any gloss primer coat used will help fill micro scratches. But, you have to apply the gloss primer as smooth as possible since any problems in it will show up in the final finish. Also, you need to MIST the Alclad on in several light coats, It doesn't work as well if sprayed on in wet coats. So, if you're an airbrush novice, this might be yet another issue you have to conquer. When done right, it dries rock hard in less than 30mins and can be easily masked over with low tack tapes.

The AK metalics can be applied directly over the bare plastic (which still has to be glass smooth) and can be sprayed much like any other enamel paint. It dries fast, like Alclad, and also has a hard finish that handles well and can be masked over.

I like them both, and try to have a stock of both on hand. Alclad seems to have a few more colors to choose from, or at least they're easier to get here in Jax than the AK stuff. I think the best answer is to use both of them together; using the AK as a good overall base coat, and then varying colors on panels with the Alclad; since the AK acts as a "primer" for it. Hope this helps!

GIL :cool: