2019 National Convention Hotel info

Hello, the availability of hotel rooms for a National Convention is always a hot topic.  We've tried to be as honest and transparent as we can regarding when the room blocks will be opened up and available for reservations.  We announced in Phoenix that we thought it would happen in Mid-September, and I didn't realize how accurate that was.

Let this serve as the official announcement (or one of several) that the room blocks for all three convention hotels will be open, and reservation links posted on the convention website (www.ipmsusanationals.com), on Friday September 14, 2018.  There are three hotels at this point:

1)  The Marriott.  This hotel is physically attached to the Chattanooga Convention Center, and will therefore be the most convenient.  The room rate is $144/night.

2)  The Day's Inn Rivergate.  About a block and a half away, it's a very easy walk to the CCC, and for the budge conscious, the room rate is $109/night.

3)  The Read House.  A historic downtown hotel, it's just now wrapping up a complete renovation.  I'm told they left the "ghost room" alone, but I don't know what they did with the room that housed Al Capone as he was transported from Florida to Chicago to stand trial.  An easy 2 block walk to the CCC, the room rate is $134/night.

Again, all three blocks will be opened up on 9-14-18 with reservation links posted on the convention website - www.ipmsusanationals.com

Thanks

Mike Moore

Convention Chairman

• Thanks 1

When did we ever not have transparency in this matter? For as many Nationals as I can remember, I have always left one knowing pretty much exactly when the reservations could be made for the next. I have always made them on the first day possible. My recollection is that each host chapter does an excellent job of keeping the membership informed.  Nick

I see a difference Nick....

You' are correct in that every previous host has made it known that their hotel blocks were open for business- on their Nationals Website, and perhaps one announcement here on this site. It WAS readily apparent for anyone who was paying attention that they could book their room, and people like you and I have taken advantage of that.

However, very seldom, if ever, have I seen one of the people running a Nats be so pro-active as to advising when their rooms will be available, and I cannot remember that news being known so far in advance. Not only has Mike posted this info in several places on this site, but I've also see him post it on Hyperscale; and have no doubt he and his fellow host members are posting this info on many other sites too.

So I see a difference in that they are reaching out more, and not just to IPMSers who pay attention, but also to the non-members here and on other websites. In other words, they already appear to be more inviting than past hosts.

IPMS may want to give this some thought as to it being an opportunity to put our best foot forward. This may be not only one of the largest conventions in history, it may well have more non-members wandering the halls those 3-4 days than any time in the past. IPMS should think hard on ways to make joining IPMS the FUN thing to do, as the contest at the Nats is NOT enough reason for people to join, remain members, or for us to base our future on.

GIL :cool:

I guess my experiences in this are simply substantially different from those of others. But then, I went to Catholic Schools where the good Sisters reminded me that " God helps those who help themselves!"

We  can only ask our fellow members to do so much. Then we have to pitch in ourselves, even if it means doing something as onerous as sending someone an e-mail request for information. Gosh! My back hurts just thinking about how much exertion that would take! Nick. 

I'm with Nick on this.  When the website for the Columbia Nationals went live (and it went live as soon as the Columbus show was declared "over"), we posted links all over the modeling forums and included the links to our social media pages (Facebook and Twitter), too.  Every now and then we'd give the posts a bump, but otherwise, if you wanted info you went to the "Official" website and social media pages to get the up-to-date 4-1-1.  All the information available was posted to the website.

Jodie updated everything several times a day (or more, if warranted) on the "News" page, including posting when hotel blocks opened up and making almost hourly updates early on when the Hampton Inn had a booking glitch.

As Nick says, you can only do so much.  Sooner or later, people have to do for themselves.

Ralph

Off to a roaring start.  The links are up on the Nats website and the link for the Mariott results in a message that the block has no rooms available.  A phone call to the hotel results in information that, since the Nats are next year, reservations cannot be made on-line.

P.S.  A subsequent phone call indicated that the hotel cannot tell me if the room block is sold out.  The Marriot web site indicates the room block is sold out.  I was advised to call back tomorrow as Mariott reservations are closed for the night.  They thought.  Maybe.

Edited by Highlander

Reservation made at Marriott!😀

BTW - July/August Journal received and 2018 Convention Coverage will be in Sept/Oct Journal.

Called the hotel, they switched me to reservations, and I got my room reserved at the Marriott for the 'Nooga Nats!

NOTE THAT YOU WILL MOST LIKELY BE CHARGED $11/DAY FOR PARKING. I asked if parking was included in the $144/night room rate and was told it was not. So, IF parking is supposed to be included with the convention room rate, one of the 'Nooga guys needs to hop on this and get the info straightened out with the reservation folks.

This is not a make or break item, but I have NOT seen it mentioned anywhere else, and want people to be aware of it.

Edited by ghodges

This seems to be an ongoing phenomenon with every show. One of us calls and we are told the hotel block is filled. It is almost always due to the fact that the particular hotel staff person does not know how to access the block. Some options : (1) Ask for the manager (2) Always call during regular work hours- not outside the 8-4 window, not on the weekend (3) hang up and call back and hopefully get a different reservation person. Like every other organization, it takes a while for everyone to get on the same page.

With respect to parking fees (1) $11. per night is dirt cheap! (2) I have never, ever seen a hotel rate at a decent in-town hotel that included the parking- especially not a Marriott! With all the Nationals we have all been to, does this really come as a surprise?  Besides, you can always park on the street or hire a homeless person to drive your car around the block for four days. Nick Filippone, sophisticated world traveler. 

Wasn't really a problem...she was probably trying to get the Presidential Suite and one of you guys already had it booked for you and twenty of your closest friends. 🙂   We have suites at the Staybridge at the other end of the convention center.  She's more interested in a certain kind of room than whatever the blocked-rate is and probably got two or three since she said she was thinking about flying in the kids for a couple of days.

I'm not going to complain--how many wives say they're going to make reservations when you happen to mention that the website for the show is up.  Or worry that you might not feel well when you come back from the vendor rooms empty-handed.  I love my wife. 🙂

--David

1 hour ago, JohnRatzenberger said:

I and one of my friends separately made reservations this morning at the Marriott from the links provided w/o problem from inside Hurricane Florence - how hard can it be ?

Somewhere between easy and impossible depending on who you end up talking to when calling the hotel.

Ok, here’s what I know.  

First, yes, parking is not included in the room rate at the Marriott. In the interests of full disclosure I’ll make note of that on our website.  It also isn’t included in the rate for the Read House.  

Second, I don’t know where we stand exactly in regards to a sell out at the Marriott, but as of earlier this afternoon it was selling very quickly.  I don’t know if I can get anyone in sales tomorrow, but I’ll check and see if they can tell me where we stand in regards to selling out. 

Mike Moore

Having just paid $55/day for the privilege of parking in downtown Philly at the Courtyard Marriott; $11/day is chump change. I'll also bet they'll be able to get your car to you faster than the 30-45mins it took in Philly too!

The info I got when I called earlier in the week was that I should ask for Gabrielle Gorman, as she was the person handling that "type" of reservation (convention blocks, I guess), and she works Mon-Fri; 8-5 (no weekends). I only got her voicemail just before 5pm, but when I called the hotel again to ask if she'd left, they switched me to reservations and a very nice gent hooked me up. He just had to take the time to "read" the block info and then search to be sure the room I requested (single king bed) was available.

It might be that the room block is NOT sold out, but the type of room you want may be sold out. My advice is to ask what room types are available in the block if your first request isn't available. Hope this helps!

Marriott Updatae - 

There are still rooms available.  However, due to the way the block was assigned, there are currently no double rooms left in the block for Saturday night the 10th, only King rooms.  In talking with the National reservations desk, it appears that there are still double rooms in the hotel, but we can't get them added to the block until Monday when the sales folks come back to work.  But it does sound like they are very limited.  Check back on Monday to see if there are any doubles available on the 10th.

There are still plenty of rooms at the Day's Inn and the Read House.

Mike

Then, I owe the hotel staff an apology. Obviously, the fault lies with the Chattanooga National staff who did WAY too good a job in making their show a "must attend" and the IPMS Nationals faithful who sat up all night of the 13th, obsessive compulsively waiting for the clock to strike 8AM - as I did! Nick

Another hotel update.

The Marriott is pretty much sold out.  There are king rooms available on Wednesday and Saturday nights, but nothing in between.  Until and unless there are cancellations, the Marriott is sold out.

The Day's Inn still has rooms for the whole convention, but for Friday night, they are down to Kings only, so if you don't want to share a bed, you'll need to bring an air mattress.

The Read House still has lots of rooms.

Mike

I called Monday evening, and the Marriott told me they were full. I could have a room for Wednesday and Thursday, but had to move out by noon Friday. Big help. So I then called Day's Inn. All rooms with two Queen beds were gone. Only rooms with a single King bed are left. I booked 2 rooms - one for me and one for my vending business partner. I'm willing to bet that at least 40% of the rooms booked will be cancelled before July 1st, but both the Marriott and Day's Inn refuse to keep waiting lists....

14 minutes ago, MikeBrickman said:

I called Monday evening, and the Marriott told me they were full. I could have a room for Wednesday and Thursday, but had to move out by noon Friday. Big help. So I then called Day's Inn. All rooms with two Queen beds were gone. Only rooms with a single King bed are left. I booked 2 rooms - one for me and one for my vending business partner. I'm willing to bet that at least 40% of the rooms booked will be cancelled before July 1st, but both the Marriott and Day's Inn refuse to keep waiting lists....

Mike, there are still plenty of rooms available at the Read House.  It's a 1/2 block farther away then the Day's Inn, and $10 a night cheaper than the Marriott.  And having just undergone a major renovation (as in they closed and gutted it, not just redid finishes) it will be VERY nice.

Mike Moore