Kinetic 1/48 E-2C Hawkeye

theemodelstarter

I've already got mine on pre-order with Great Models but haven't heard any update news lately. Anybody else chompin at the bit for this one? have any inside info?

It's not even listed on the Cybermodeler 2009 kit list, so I presume it's ben postponed until at least 2010, much like the long awaited Trumpy 1/32 A-6 Intruder. With kit prices rising so dramatically and the economy in a slump it's a wonder anything is being released. Heck, the new HobbyBoss 1/48 A-7A/B is 75$, which puts it into the "win at the raffle" group for me! As for E2-C, I have the CollectAire 1/48 Hawkeye kit, so I don't have to worry about anything except getting mine done before the plastic one is out! But, I know a lot of guys like you who will jump on the Kinetic kit if it's anything less than $100. Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Gil,

You may be right about the delay, but Kinetics track record for releasing what's been announced has been excellent to date. Besides, 2010 is now only a few months away, I've got my piggy bank earmarked! I'm most interested in it so that I'll have a source of detail parts for my Collect Aire kit. By then we ought to see some decals start to become available too, I'm gunning for VAW-115 from Midway 1978-9 and VAW-116 from Kitty Hawk 1983-4. Then, if only they do a C-2A kit or someone floats a Greyhound conversion, I'll have both the Air Wings I served with :smiley4: . As long as Great Models has it as a pre-order, I'm pretty sure I'll get it eventually.

What I want is for someone to do an E-2D conversion with some scimitar props! I don't think there's a lot of external differences anyway, but those new props are da bomb!

GIL :smiley16:

Gil,

It all depends on which E-2C they produce. I suspect it'll be a "standard" E-2C Group I upgrade from the 80s-90s, perhaps a Group II airframe. If it is engeneered correctly the basic fuselage molds will be suitable for upgrades to the E-2C+ (almost the E-2D/2000) and backgrades to an E-2A/B.

If there are any images of the decals available, the nosecap marking will tell you exactly which Hawkeye we'll be getting:

plain black - group 0

I - group 1

II - group 2

+ - E-2C+

delta - E-2D

I don't think there were any other markings. These were added as the catapult and arrestor requirements were different for each and serve as a visual reminder to the CatOff/LSO as to which settings are needed.

• 2 weeks later...

I too, am looking forward to this kit. I've been wanting to do a nice sized dio since I read that they were going to release one. I thought about the Collect-Aire kit but I'm too scared to even consider tackling one, as I've heard they are a tricky beast. I'm thinking that Kinetic will be mostly on-time with the release. I have enjoyed their F-16 series, recently began the Sufa. Well done, with a few rough spots but overall, well-engineered.

I'm hoping it'll retail for less than $100 but even so, I'd empty the monthly kit budget for one!