Forum Pictures

Hello All,

I have noticed that some forum pictures I can see and some I cannot. I have tried to upload pictures but it requests the URL. First question is why can I see some pictures but not others and Second, to upload to the forum, I need to have the picture stored on some other webspace?

Mark

Guest Pyrman

Mark, If you're interested in adding pics to your posts, IMHO, Photobucket is your best bet - it's FREE! Just go to PhotoBucket and sign up for an account. Uploading pics to your acct takes just nanoseconds or even yoctoseconds!

hth

Guys,

Thanks I wanted to show off some of my stuff but don't want anyone else to be able to look at it. I mean outside of IPMS viewers. I'll look into the photobucket idea.

Mark

I think you'll be alright with Photobucket Mark,

I am not sure how "public" their site is, but I've been using them for a while without any issues.

HTH, Tim

• 1 year later...

With photobucket you can keep all the images stored there private so no one that surf album on photobucket can see your images that are hosted there unless the know the password. This is how I have my account set up there.

Mark,

I use Flickr and they have a similar feature. You can make photo galleries public or private and control who sees them. You can also upload the images directly to our forums and attach to individual postings without using a Photobucket or Flickr service. You have limits to the size of the photo and how many you can post, of course, but you can do it that way too. Most folks link from a photo hosting service though.

Webshots is the same way. Loads of space too, far more than photobucket. But if you don't have that many pics to upload then Photobucket is perfect. I like how Webshots doesn't limit the size of the photos either. That helped alot when I took all those large pics of my complete 1/72 scale armor collection.

I also recommend resizing photos aimed for online use. I resize my images to 1000 pixels wide or deep at 72dpi. This allows you to make the most out of the limited, free storage offered by most hosting sites while maintaining really nice image quality. You do resize, dontcha? Today's digital cameras produce files that are much, much larger than necessary for quality online reproduction. Resize in Photoshop or any of the other image editing programs that can do that sort of thing....

Today's digital cameras produce files that are much, much larger than necessary for quality online reproduction. Resize in Photoshop or any of the other image editing programs that can do that sort of thing....
Most digital cameras also have the capability to set the size of the pic taken from the camera settings/menu- at least my Canon PowerShot does.

Very true but resizing after shooting eliminates the possibility of forgetting to set the camera back to it's largest image size (and the best for quality) when finished shooting something for online-only use. Back in the early days of digital I did just that and have a bunch of lo-res, once-in-a-lifetime images of auntie Maude riding a donkey to prove it, hehe. Also, starting with more pixels gives you the most flexibility in post processing, not to mention you'll have a large image file ready if the Journal comes callin' for shots of your creation. You can do more with a large image shot under crappy lighting than you can with a small one. Shoot big and downsize after is the advice I give photographers in my workshops.

Most digital cameras also have the capability to set the size of the pic taken from the camera settings/menu- at least my Canon PowerShot does.

I have noticed that some of the posted photos here in the DF do not have the header bar that permits you to open the image for a larger version. How does one post a photo in that manner? Some of you obviously know how to do that.

Ed

Ed,

If the pic is too large for the forum requirements, it is resized(reduced) and the option to open in the original size is given- otherwise your seeing the original size of the pic.

hth,

Greg

I also recommend resizing photos aimed for online use. I resize my images to 1000 pixels wide or deep at 72dpi. This allows you to make the most out of the limited, free storage offered by most hosting sites while maintaining really nice image quality. You do resize, dontcha? Today's digital cameras produce files that are much, much larger than necessary for quality online reproduction. Resize in Photoshop or any of the other image editing programs that can do that sort of thing....

I would recommend a program called "VSO Image Resizer" - you can get a fre version of the software (15 or so bucks to buy the full version - which is worth it). It's very useful piece of software. If you pull a significant number of images from the camera, you can resize them all at once. It gives you quite a few options to work with.

Greg is correct. It's an automated process. I'll try and find what image size triggers the automatic resizing...if Eric doesn't weigh in with the info first....

I'd also like to recommend PIXresizer for resizing (if that's all you need to do). It's free and can be found here.

Resizing photos to the reviews standards ruins many. I don't notice it all in photographs but the scans I do (especially books) get ruined when I resize to the 600x800 the review standards want.

Mark

• 1 year later...

Why won't "insert image" work today? When I enter web link from Picasa album site into Work Bench Saturday forum, shows broken image icon. In this forum the link seems to be active, but image still doesn't show fully open:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/2db_s...feat=directlink

Edited by bradco

If there are different "link" sources available perhaps it would be worth the time to experiment....to see if one of the other types of links will work. I had the same issue with Photobucket at one time.

When I grab the raw link from your post and paste it into a browser, I get a 403 Forbidden error

Eric

Why won't "insert image" work today? When I enter web link from Picasa album site into Work Bench Saturday forum, shows broken image icon. In this forum the link seems to be active, but image still doesn't show fully open:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/2db_s...feat=directlink