Mr. Color Lacquers - HELP!

OK, guys - either I'm not doing something right or I'm an idiot (probably the latter) but I'm having a serious problem with any of my GSI Creos Mr. Color lacquers that I have never had with any previous paint (laqcuer, enamle, or otherwise)

Whenever I run them through my airbrush, they come out in a stringy mess - it looks like an accumulation of hair if you spray for a few seconds

I've tried mixing with generic no name lacquer thinners, Mr. Leveling Thinner, regular Mr. Thinner - even with no thinner at all. I've tried it with running a low air pressur and with a high air pressure through the airbrush - I have a moisture trap, so I'm not getting moisture in there. Everything I have tried yields the same results, but only with the GSI lacquers - none of my other paint types are affected.

Any thoughts?

This does not sound like a good example of "Better things for better living . . . through chemistry!" I do not own any of that paint, so my chemistry knowledge on this brand is lacking. Sorry! :smiley19:

Ed

I just found a supply Of Mr. Color here in town yesterday (was looking for Mr. Surfacer). From your experience, I'm glad I passed on buying some! I have enough trouble getting my regular paints and airbrush to obey my commands!

Despite your trials, it does sound like an imcompatability problem between thinner and paint. That, (or since you tried it unthinned) you got a bad bottle of paint. I have no experience with the brand, so I don't know if quality control is an issue or not. Hopefully someone more helpful will be along shortly. Best of luck!

GIL :smiley16:

Mike,

You've learned how to make cotton candy!

What's going on is a reaction between thinners which forms a long-chain polymer, as Dr Idacavage told me years ago.

The problem is that you have:

1. likely tried to use something besides Mr Thinner

2. Have a 95% clean airbrush and the 5% residue is fouling things up.

I have dealt with this myself. The only solution I found to it was to follow the two steps above.

See ya

Mike:

Another possibility is that you are using too fast of a thinner (or too much). By using too fast (think evaporates quickly), the material evaporates before it has a chance to form a film. This has it uses and why thinner matters sometimes

Silly String works that way somewhat too.

Dave

I'm going to give it a couple more shots - again, I've tried it with and without thinner with the same results - with different thinner brands (including Mr. Thinner), so now I'm going to make certain everything's clean in the airbrush and try again...

You might try to use some sort of a retarder with the mix. I have seen them in hardware stores and in craft shops (i.e.Hobby Lobby and Michaels) Obviously you need to check the compatibility but I suspect that that would help.

Here in town a comic shop has just started stocking this brand and I passed when I saw bottles of retarder, I'll stick to Tamiya and MM me thinks.

All -

Just an update to this problem I originally posed.... it turns out, I had some sort of residue buildup at the very inside tip of my Iwata nozzle that soaking wasnt taking care of. Furthermore, the method I was using to scrap the residue from inside the nozzle wasnt getting far enough up in there to get rid of it. I finally used a pipe cleaner (My thanks to James Corley) soaked in thinnner to get up in there to clean it out - looked almost like some sort of carbon buildup, but who knows. Either way, I can now spray my Ginze colors and my mr surfacer again with not problems. It's funny that these were the only paint products that were affected by this.