USA Logo usage by chapters/members

MartinH65

I'm going to have to defer to our legal eagle to get a ruling and get back to you. I don't want to use the wrong words and convey the wrong thing. 

• Like 1

Here's the lawyers actual words:

"The National organization owns the logo.  It can grant use of the logo or withhold the right to use the logo as it sees fit.

In order to avoid problems with our tax status, we should not grant permission to use it in a for profit enterprise.

Traditionally, the National organization has allowed the chapters to use the logo to promote the local club and the national organization."

Does that answer the question?

• Like 1

Ron, I can think of one situation where it wouldn't.  In my Modelbuilding Guide E-books, I promote the IPMS/USA with a small blurb and a link to the IPMS/USA website.  I do not use an image of the logo, but it would be nice if I could.  However, from the above language, it appears that would be prohibited since the E-books carry a price.  Can you get a clarification on that situation?

I think it refers to us making money off of the use of the logo. I don't think anyone is buying those books because our logo is in them somewhere and we're not charging for its use,  so we should be ok.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

IPMS although it is an international society, individual national IPMS organisations have their own individual versions of the IPMS logo, and generally carry restricted usage. Chapters (branches in the UK) would normally be defined as part of the main organisation in their respective countries, so using the logo for promotional purposes on their stationery or at a local show should be ok. When it comes down to individuals using the logo, then that is a different matter altogether and depends on why they want to use it, and permission sought.