IPMS/USA National Convention 2020

On 9/21/2018 at 1:38 PM, Mark Deliduka said:

Pete, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure I saw him fly back in the day. It's always tough to lose someone.

Actually the story has a bit more to it.  You would not have seen him fly.  The accident happened shortly after he joined the group and as far as I know he never got to perform before the crash. 

• 1 month later...

Peter. 

Congrats on getting the Nationals. Looking forward to getting there.  We have several Air Force Friends in Texas and this gives all the more reason to come down.  Have driven past San Marcos any number of times.  Friends in San Antonio - DFW areas.

As soon as I saw your logo I had to chuckle and approve of it whole heartedly.  I have already sent a copy of it to a friend in Greeneville that flies the flag that has inspired your design.

I know where it came from.  A lot of our members do, but then, I am sure there are many who don't.  I would like to recommend that you put out some info on where you logo comes from.  It could be a blurp on your website, maybe a quick side note on the Ad placed in the Journal.   If nothing else, you will inform our group of some of the Texas history that is so deeply ingrained in the great state.

These thoughts come from a member of the great state of West "By God" Virginia that has always admired Texas. except maybe when I was going to tech school at Amarillo AFB:rolleyes:

BTW, and just for informational and instructional use only - nothing personal, it is said that if West Virginia were flattened out, it would be larger than Texas. :smiley2:  (Forwarded by a guy that lives on top of the hill and commands the high ground.)

Drawn years ago by my (then) young daughter:

WV%20Hillbilly%20Heaven002.jpg

Happy Modeling

Edited by MarkYoungCrewChief

7 hours ago, MarkYoungCrewChief said:

Peter. 

Congrats on getting the Nationals. Looking forward to getting there.  We have several Air Force Friends in Texas and this gives all the more reason to come down.  Have driven past San Marcos any number of times.  Friends in San Antonio - DFW areas.

As soon as I saw your logo I had to chuckle and approve of it whole heartedly.  I have already sent a copy of it to a friend in Greeneville that flies the flag that has inspired your design.

I know where it came from.  A lot of our members do, but then, I am sure there are many who don't.  I would like to recommend that you put out some info on where you logo comes from.  It could be a blurp on your website, maybe a quick side note on the Ad placed in the Journal.   If nothing else, you will inform our group of some of the Texas history that is so deeply ingrained in the great state.

These thoughts come from a member of the great state of West "By God" Virginia that has always admired Texas. except maybe when I was going to tech school at Amarillo AFB:rolleyes:

BTW, and just for informational and instructional use only - nothing personal, it is said that if West Virginia were flattened out, it would be larger than Texas. :smiley2:  (Forwarded by a guy that lives on top of the hill and commands the high ground.)

Mark, you had me very confused for a moment.  I am not from San Marcos, Texas but San Marcos, California.  though I spent a lot of time in Texas.  Del Rio, Laughlin AFB to be exact.    Not the end of the world but you can see it from there.  We would drive into San Antonio on the weekends for the night life.  From there I became a water wagon driver(1972 to 1981). Mostly in northern Michigan and Washington State.  Moved to San Marcos Ca in 1988. 

Pete

@Mark: Yes, we plan on having some of the history surrounding the logo on the convention website as well as some signage at the show explaining that era of Texas history (mid 1800s). In fact, during our bid presentation this past summer at Phoenix, I opened with the history of the Battle of Gonzales and a picture of the original flag as an intro to the show's theme. 

Thank you for the suggestion.

-Len

• 2 weeks later...

As an international visitor, what is the easiest international airport and how do you get to the San Marco without a car?

This will be our 22nd year  as a company at the show and my sixth but I am trying to work out how to do it without going over a very tight budget.

Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (ABIA) is 11 minutes from San Marcos (per Google maps).   San Antonio is 49 minutes.   There should be a SuperShuttle available to take you to/from ABIA to San Marcos Embassy Suites for not too much money.

Depending on your departure country and airline you may not be able to fly direct to ABIA, but you should be able to pick up a connector through from Dallas/FtWorth (DFW), Dallas Love (LUV),  or  Houston Bush (IAH).  United, American, Southwest, Alaska, Delta, plus code share partners service ABIA

@WarthoMKL: We are going to recommend that convention attendees, if flying into the area, fly into Austin-Bergstrom Intl Airport. This is closer than San Antonio and for most airlines, cheaper than San Antonio. We are in the preliminary stages of setting up free (including it as a show budget item) transportation/shuttle service from Austin-Bergstrom to the Embassy Suites on the first two days of the show (Wed-Thu). We will post details of such arrangements to the website - www.nats2020.com - after the 2019 convention concludes. We are also going to look into a shuttle service within San Marcos during the days of the convention (Wed-Sat). This service will be for convention attendees to get from the Embassy Suites to the various overflow hotels as well as the very large outlet mall just to the south of the Embassy Suites. Again, this is all very preliminary but in the coming months I will be dedicating some time to work with San Marcos, the Embassy Suites, overflow hotels, and local transportation companies to get all this set-up in time for July 2020. Stay tuned to our website later this year for details. 

Well I live south of  ("the real") San Marcos- California-  and have lived (?) in Texas -El Paso .  So I guess if I  combine the two and come to your San Marcos convention it'll be a break even.  I know Ya'll have gotten more modern an' all, but is sit still OK to tie up in front of the hotel?🤣  Sorry, guess I'm being ….. doofus.🤪

Seriously Best Wishes on the convention, sounds like you are getting a good running start.👍👍👍

Edited by PropDuster

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Can you arrange a shuttle to go from San Marcos to Luling so people can eat at City Market BBQ? :smiley20: Heck, a loop from Luling, Lockhart, Austin and Driftwood should keep you full for the rest of the stay. :biggrin:

@BryanKrueger "Can you arrange a shuttle to go from San Marcos to Luling so people can eat at City Market BBQ? :smiley20: Heck, a loop from Luling, Lockhart, Austin and Driftwood should keep you full for the rest of the stay."

We are still working on the tours for the 2020 convention and I hope to have the details ironed out by the time we are at Chattanooga next month. Our biggest challenge at the moment is finding a volunteer to manage the tours part of the convention. If a tour to local eating establishments does not materialize we will definitely have literature available directing convention guests where to go to get some of the best food (in our opinion) in Central Texas.

-Len

I was just teasing! But it would get the rest of the country exposed to the glory of South Texas smoked sausage links. 🤣

I'm looking forward to the show. It will be my first one in years.

• 2 weeks later...

@danWe do not have a firm date yet on hotel reservations opening but I am shooting for late August/early September. I am in touch with the Embassy Suites and the 2020 show will be assigned an event manager one year out...which will be in a couple of weeks. I will then work with them on the link for hotel reservations. I will have more details at Chattanooga and will cover this during my time on stage presenting my preview of next year's show. As far as show registration goes: we are going to get though Chattanooga first and see what worked for them with regards to show registration and then start our own process. We'll probably shoot for this late fall/winter to begin taking registrations...but that is only a guess at this point. Stay tuned here to the forums for more details as I will start a new thread once I have firm dates established.

-Len

• 3 weeks later...

@sharkinman44 The website is up and running, albeit with limited information at the moment. We will be populating the site with more info in the coming weeks and months as we are prepared to announce such info (overall show schedule, seminar sched, tour sched, etc). The website is www.nats2020.com. I am currently working with the Embassy Suites to get our convention reservation link up and running. I expect this to happen in a few weeks...early September. I will post an announcement here when the rooms are ready to go live.

33 minutes ago, LenPilhofer said:

@sharkinman44 The website is up and running, albeit with limited information at the moment. We will be populating the site with more info in the coming weeks and months as we are prepared to announce such info (overall show schedule, seminar sched, tour sched, etc). The website is www.nats2020.com. I am currently working with the Embassy Suites to get our convention reservation link up and running. I expect this to happen in a few weeks...early September. I will post an announcement here when the rooms are ready to go live.

Thank you sir!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I like the theme you've chosen for the 2020 Nationals. I remember the history behind that flag and the Gonzales Canon from 7th grade Texas History 48 years ago when we lived at Sheppard AFB where my late father was a Preventive Dentistry Instructor at the time. I'm really looking forward to returning to Texas, as I've not been since the 2000 Nationals in Dallas.

Have you got your tours lined up yet? I was the Tour Coordinator for the 2012 Nationals at Disneyworld, so I might be able to give ya'll some pointers to avoid a few pitfalls I had.

Take care.

Fred

Edited by SwampFox

@SwampFox We have a general idea of offering two tours: one to San Antonio to visit the Alamo and Riverwalk and another to Fredericksburg to visit the National Museum of the Pacific War and the birthplace of Admiral Chester Nimitz. However, first I need a tour coordinator. I am actively working this aspect of the show and hopefully soon we will have the tours details locked down and tickets up for sale on the IPMS web store by this winter, no later than next spring.  

LenPilhofer,

Sounds good. Is there a chance of a tour to the forts and bases around San Antonio? I'd think if we could get on Luke AFB, Offutt AFB, NAS Oceana, the Norfolk Navy Base, etc, I'd think we could get on the bases in Texas as well. I'll definitely go to the Alamo, even if I have to drive myself. Someone who's good with organization should make a good tour co-ordintor. All that really needs to be done is arrange the transportation and get with the tour destinations. Where cost are involved, it is best to get everything under contract as early as possible with options for more buses and tickets where applicable.

Have a great Labor Day Weekend.

Fred

Edited by SwampFox