Does anyone know what the estimate on entries and convention attendees?

Tim Kirkland

It is posted on IPMS/USA Facebook page.

Contest Entrants: 424

Models Grand Total: 3,523

Models in competition: 2,723

There were 800 display models (700 of them 72nd Armor by The Duke) but not sure if that counts what was on the SIG/Club tables or not.

Phil

Of note also: there were 2300+ entries which was made up with those 2,723 models.

No, Mark, those numbers do not include what was on the Chapter/Club/SIG tables.  I'll see if I can get the numbers for those and get them up, too.  thanks for the post.

Steve

Actually that was Phil who mentioned that. But thanks, it'll be interesting to see how many more models were on the SIG and club tables.

That's an average of 6.4 models per entrant. When we get the final registration count, we can also see what percentage of those who attend the convention actually enter the contest. When I did it for our last show I think it was somewhere around 20-25%. 

5 hours ago, Ron Bell said:

That's an average of 6.4 models per entrant. When we get the final registration count, we can also see what percentage of those who attend the convention actually enter the contest. When I did it for our last show I think it was somewhere around 20-25%. 

Really?  That low, eh?  It would also be fun to see who came from where.  By state would be interesting if you can't do by city.  

Actually, if you did a full analysis of the numbers, I'd bet you'd find the mean, being the most often seen, number of entries per modeler would be more like 2-3. It's those guys that bring tubs full of entries that skew the numbers. 

4 hours ago, Ron Bell said:

Actually, if you did a full analysis of the numbers, I'd bet you'd find the mean, being the most often seen, number of entries per modeler would be more like 2-3. It's those guys that bring tubs full of entries that skew the numbers. 

Ron, That sounds about right except the mathematician in me has to point something out.  The "mean" is the total number of models divided by the number of modelers.  The mode is the number that occurs most frequently.   There is also a median, but we won't go into that.   I will grant you that there are probably few modelers who remember this.😉

The median is the number in the middle of an ordered list of numbers such that half of the numbers are below it and half are above.  Just sayin'. Nick Filippone

Your right, My bad. Mean is the arithmetic average, mode the most frequent response and median is as you say. 

I was really not trying to show you or anyone up, Ron. I was just doing what I am often accused of doing- being a smart ___! LOL! Nick

Believe me, it doesn't take much to show me up in math, so no offense taken.

Depending upon the nature of the distribution, the median is often the best measure of central tendency ... that is, is the single number that provides the best snapshot of the characteristic of the population being described.  I'm guessing, with >2,700 entrants, the median is the best quick measure.

How's that for being a smart ass?  It is not often that I get to go back to the agonizing days of grad school math.

20 hours ago, Ron Bell said:

... It's those guys that bring tubs full of entries that skew the numbers. 

I know of several guys who always enter >20 models in local and regional contests.  I know of one who entered in the upper 30's.  And one who entered over 60 models.  Depending upon the number of entries and entrants, that might not skew the mean that much.  But the median gets moved up a couple of notches.

8 hours ago, Highlander said:

I know of several guys who always enter >20 models in local and regional contests.  I know of one who entered in the upper 30's.  And one who entered over 60 models.  Depending upon the number of entries and entrants, that might not skew the mean that much.  But the median gets moved up a couple of notches.

I believe that this years numbers were badly skewed by one modeler who brought over 500 models.  Thanks Duke!😉

I think they were either entered as one entry in collections or were just on a display table, so they may not skew it that much. He is a prolific little devil, thought. 

You're welcome Pete, but Ron is right. My collection was all on the Display tables and thus was not part of the contest count.

Thanks Ron! I do try to keep busy....