Did anyone go to the Bid meeting? If so who put a bid in for 2020 and 2021?

Dave,

Thank You for the update 👍- but think you meant 2020.

Missed seeing you all this year

TAKE CARE,

Looking forward already for the 2020 convention. I've got some time to get on some Pacific War entries!!!! 

Fly or drive

fly or drive

I may end up driving this one.  Means more time in the vendor room.  hehehehe.

2020 was bid on by San Marcos TX and Las Vegas NV.  San Marcos TX was awarded the 2020 show. 

My understanding is that 2021 bids are to be presented, and the award of the 2021 show will be done next year in Chattanooga.  The only announced bidder that I know of right now for 2021 is Omaha.

Edited by gkwan99

What happened (again) to bidding three years out?  In Columbia, we were told that the new procedure was to bid three years out, and in 2016 the destinations for 2018 and 2019 were chosen.  In 2017, nobody bothered to bid, but we were told nothing had changed--2017 should have been when the 2020 hosts were named.  Now, once again, we're back out to two years out...2019 will see the hosts named for 2021, not 2022.

R

The Eboard said they would ACCEPT bids for 2 and 3yrs out from this point on. However, if clubs don't come to a show with a bid for any one of those years, there's nothing they can do about it. The announcement was made to allow for easier future planning AND to allow "bidders" to (perhaps) co-ordinate a bit between each other.

I have to guess that Neither Las Vegas nor San Marco could lock in any dates except for 2020, and thus had to bid against each other. Also, we have to guess that other rumored bidders such as Portland and Omaha were not ready to make an actual bid at this convention, and thus we don't get any early planning for anything beyond 2020.

Not to open a can of worms again (and NOT looking to start a debate), but the more the Eboard controls more parts of the Nats show, the easier it will be to stick it in one city and go there year after year. The manpower "problem" for the show can be solved. We're starting to run short of any "new" bidders, and starting to rotate between many of the repeating hosts anyway; so the idea of rotating the show for the benefit of reaching all sectors of the country is pretty much kaput at this point.

GIL :cool:

Omaha just announced they were going to bid, didn't actually have one put together. Don't know who is gonna want to go up against them after last years returns.

FWIW, one reason that the board wanted to go multiple years was that, as a former board member, it was gut wrenching to have three good bids in one year and only pick one.  Groups spent a lot of time preparing them and rejecting good bids was really tough. I do like the idea of planning out further too

Dave