Finding The Correct Paint

I have recently gotten into the hobby of modeling, so I don't have lots of knowledge about everything. But one of my biggest problems is finding the correct paints. Because I look every where and can never find what I am looking for. Whether it's when I find one paint that is the correct color it's not the right finish or I can't find the correct color even with conversion charts from one brand to the next. So is it sometimes you have to just get a color that's "close Enough" or am I just not looking right?

Edited by LittleGeezeMan

Depends on what type of paint and shades you're looking for. For acrylic paints, there are some very diverse manufacturers who tend to offer pretty much anything I've ever needed. Enamels can be more challenging considering all the restrictions...and one of the major lines- Testors/Model Master just shut some of their offerings down.

What are you looking for?

The Internet is your friend, Just enter the name of the color(s) you are looking for (start with those from the kit instruction sheet) in the search field in your browser and hit "return." To look for a specific type of paint (acrylic, enamel) in that color, type the word "acrylic" or "enamel" after the color name before pressing the "return" key.

If, after trying an Internet search, you still can't find what you are looking for, post an inquiry on this forum. We're here to help.

• 2 weeks later...

Do yourself a favor....and do NOT try to be too exact. You'll save yourself a LOT of headaches and simply find paints that are indeed in the "ballpark", even if their FS# doesn't match the instructions in the kit.

Most of the common paints are available from any number of manufacturers in enamel or acrylic. Keep in mind that the actual "color" as seen in daylight would vary according to how it was mixed and applied, by its age and degree of exposure to the elements, and what those elements were. OD Green faded considerably differently on planes in North Africa versus the Pacific versus here in the states. There's "depot fresh" paint jobs and then well worn paint jobs depending on time in the field. You can call up period color pics of any group of subjects and find variations in the finishes from one to the next sitting immediately beside one another!

This is not to say that there aren't any standards. People have expectations, which appears to be your chief worry in trying to get it "right". My advice is NOT to be so worried. Most paint lines are in the ball park and you can then make adjustments as you see fit to make them match what YOU think looks right. Anyone who tries to tell you you're wrong is actually admitting they don't really know what they're talking about!

Lastly, if you're truly concerned, then find a picture of your subject and copy it to the best of your ability. Someone may question your result, but you won't be so far off that you can't show that pic to validate your finish. Since you say you're new to the hobby, my advice is not to stress out too much over being so precise. If it says "OD green", or "Brown-Violet #81"; then find that paint and use it without worrying whether or not that manufacturer got it exactly correct. After all....it'll be the same paint (for the most part) most every other modeler uses! Hope this helps!

GIL