1/72 Bridge Diorama

Peter

A set of pulley wheels need brackets to hold them in place at the top of the towers. Used aluminium plate.

pM97P0Q.jpg

miHv7AB.jpg

The towers are not yet installed. Just checking to see how the wheels line up with the span cable anchoring points. Also, where I need to drill cable holes into the bridge.

tOgN4rQ.jpg

Checking how the bumper rollers are to the tower.

vRZSbx8.jpg

Due to the nature of my design, which includes wiring under the bridge, three items have to be installed at the same time. That is, the towers, road base, and traffic lights.

Took me awhile to find a solution that won't split the wood when drilling it. Making the traffic lights.

hi4t5uE.jpg

Building the road and footpath base. Drilled countless holes for railing posts. Routed the wiring to go under the table. Installed towers, road, and lights.

8JY8D2R.jpg

• Like 1

I finally went through this and I am speechless and overwhelmed. What a massive and magnificent undertaking. Simply phenomenal work being displayed here.

I am looking forward to seeing more.

• Thanks 1

Thank you Mark @Mark Deliduka for your kind words and encouragement. Much appreciated.

The next part was to paint the road surface (concrete), which is different to the highway (bitumen).

Tried to use a splatter technique which did not work well for me. So then I the dry brush dabbing method. Finally used a fine brush to spot dark (gravel) and light (cement) colours. It took a while, but I think it paid off.

4PJPXx8.jpg

Painting under the span frame was quite difficult. The edges across the road between span and bridge are protected with steel plate (painted silver).

A2wkhWF.jpg

Masked the road for centre and fog lines. Added small yellow reflectos down the road centre. Later, I could not resist playing with the 1/74 (OO gauge) scale cars.

KOctwSW.jpg

54wDkEe.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Mark for your response.

At this stage i needed a break from the bridge display. So I focussed on the console for a while. Renovating the interior and instrumentation.

GUCFOsK.jpg

he7RHPX.jpg

5EHhTbE.jpg

Edited by Peter
  • Like 1

Thank you Kev for for your wows. Much appreciated.

To re-wire the console I had to create a wiring harness first. This is much larger than wiring a radio or a sterio internals. Done some reasearch into industrial wiring, such as for a car. They used a large peg-board to map out where the wires go. So I did the same thing.

A3M8mSh.jpg

nayJlYi.jpg

Then came the task of attaching the harness. Did not bother too much about how it would look under the control panel, nobody will see it anyway. But it was important to have no stress /tension on any of the wires.

9b71VmH.jpg

Installed the control panel with harness to the console. Initially used white plastic ties, but after connecting to the three terminal strips I replaced them with coloured ones.

0kNQOq6.jpg

A smaller harness was made between terminal strips and the two D-Connectors at rear of console. These will bridge, via a multi-core cable, to the display control box.

dtjoT8H.jpg

Added Passive InfraRed (PIR) unit inside console. This is to detect human activity near the console. Detected human movement will turn on interior lighting, to attract visitors to interact with the display.

DH8hDvO.jpg

Added felt lining around front edge.

zWYEMeD.jpg

Lined the interior edge with LED flexible strip.

u8PeRB0.jpg

Added front Perspex panel, with kickboard cut from the original steel panel.

7tF4G3U.jpg

M2tCe58.jpg

LtmqOTI.jpg

Console diorama completed.

Edited by Peter

Thank you @Mark Deliduka for kind words.

Getting back to the bridge display, there was the matter of the land masses and riverbanks at each end of bridge. Starting on the North side with the footpath that goes under the bridge.

5nPh0Kc.png

Left (2010), right (2017).

cq7Vhos.jpg

Took basic measurements and started modelling the stairs, etc.

8ejCfuI.jpg

WAZEfea.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you Peter @StrikeEagle, for your complimentive words. Glad you like the build log.

Now there was a matter of a partial house within the display boundaries.

Assuming standard whole 'feet' measurements. I was able to get a good estimation of the house size.

cqvtq0H.jpg

Y1A2vzG.jpg

Decided to include interior lighting. Using an electronic ciruit which squences 5 outputs (LED lights). So, I divide the house into five rooms. Also added thin Perspex for windows.

I44mFie.jpg

It was a bit tricky making the roof. Because the Masonite is 2.5 mm thick, I had to use wood putty to fill on the bevelled gaps.

qlBAgwl.jpg

Included a painted figurine into the front enclosed verander. She is now overlooking the construction of the model :wink:

K8iBaid.jpg

Tested and created the sequencer circuit. Every 10 seconds one room light will turn off while an adjacent room switches on. This will appear as if someone is going from one room to the next.

22BFBzS.jpg

• Like 1

Brilliant idea! Nice work on the lighting too. I can only imagine what it would be like for the owner of that house to see this display and recognize their home in this display. That would be so cool.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mark Deliduka said:

Brilliant idea! Nice work on the lighting too. I can only imagine what it would be like for the owner of that house to see this display and recognize their home in this display. That would be so cool.

Interesting point. Will invite them to the display opening day (whenever that is).

Wow, I'm running out of superlatives! Each installment is better than the next.

I so look forward to seeing your posts (from IPMS) in my morning email. 🙂

• Thanks 1

Thank you Kev @Roktman. I do appreciate your responses. :smiley20:

The original bridge console operated swing gates instead of todays boom gates. Had lots of trouble finding an image of what they used to look like, until I saw this (enlarged detail).

Xa1vAcV.jpg

This gave me the go ahead to make the gates. They will be servo motor controlled. Used washers, brass tube, tin from a lid, fencing wire, flat wire, scrap plate, couplings fron electrical terminal strip, and fly screen.

e8hX4Q1.jpg

3UbnCIj.jpg

dgoPiE1.jpg