TIE Experimental

Roktman

This was another model from a newly rediscovered part of my stash. It's the TIE Experimental from Trilliance Models. Seems Trilliance is long gone and lucked out and the original artist who drew it up commented that it was one of the craft invented for the video game Xwing Alliance.

It was made up as a droid fighter, as the pod with the window is loaded with technology (no room for a pilot), and the other side just has a big cannon.  Anyway as the first "Empire" ship done in a long time I just took it easy. It's painted with light gray with a black wash to show the details and a lighter drybrush for the highlights. Thanks for looking.

IMG_2727.jpg.0f5dc5a815abc2529f68b43e7eab3ed6.jpg

IMG_2719.jpg.fdb49ff4e5c1fbbef3672b1fcdbbb58a.jpgIMG_2720.jpg.aec449c57cb2b4e93bdb5a66021b7fc7.jpg

Edited by Roktman
  • Like 1

Hi, Kevin,

I have never seen this configuration before.  I am not a video game player, therefore........ 

Engineering-wise, a TIE fighter has two panels on the outside and a ball in the middle.  This craft is just the reverse--two balls on the outside and a panel in the middle.  Saves a lot of confusion on the two assembly lines because the manufacturer has to assemble equal numbers of panels and balls and just connect them one way or the other.

Thanks for sharing a unique Star Wars ship with us.  Looks great!

Ed

Thanks guys.

Ed: I "spoke" to the designer on FB last week. He was charged with coming up with a new ship design for the X-Wing Alliance video game (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE_Experimental_M1 . )

He said he came up with about 12 designs (all of them pretty cool).  He called this craft the "Bizarro Ship."    Apparently  "Trilliance"  either saw the design on paper or saw it in the game and decided to make a practical model. How it usually works in the garage kit world, someone else saw the model, liked it, and asked it to make more. And as usual garage kits usually have 1 or 2 go rounds before the mold wears out and/or the sales stop coming in.  A little unusual for the "Co." to just disappear tho

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2018 at 11:06 AM, RGronovius said:

I used to play the various X-Wing and TIE fighter games. There were some pretty neat variants of the TIE fighter.

Agreed. IIRC I played the first TIE fighter game. Loved all the ships. I tried to get screen grabs with the hope of a clear view and maybe some scrathbuilding. Din't happen... 😉

• 2 weeks later...