Flash Gordon's rocketship

Roktman

For an upcoming local IPMS contest called "rivets" I dug this one out of the stash and built it up. It's pfrom Fantastic Plastic and goes together like a dream.

The large window is perfect for showing off the main console. It also has another panel of dials and buttons in the back, that, once close up will never be seen again, but I painted nonetheless.

IMG_2673.jpg.3ad604ff534773a39d54b953576af7a5.jpg

Thru the window -

IMG_2679.jpg.96f9f5e7811b190fb7902252a95bdf54.jpg

Yeah there was a few scratches in the raw resin, that I didn't see. By the time I did I was so far along that I told myself "Next time..."

I had an oops and lost one of the fins for the ship. How do I lose something that big!! (shrug) So I made a new one. Painted gloss black primer, I then hit it with Vallejo's Silver, from their new metallics line . Thanks for looking.

IMG_2691.jpg.94c89e6299a4777ed5c71ed2726ba5aa.jpg

IMG_2692.jpg.e15a6f53357e57b0eda1a02739eeffc5.jpg

Hi, Kevin,

Great job on Dr. Z's rocket ship.  Isn't it amazing how such a complex ship can be operated successfully with such minimal instrumentation and controls?  And virtually no pre-flight training for the crew?  And ammo storage and handling for use with the nose cannon?  And a compact artificial gravity generator?  And fuel storage tanks?  And air and food supply and storage and preparation equipment?  Yep, those 1930s ships were certainly cost effective and efficient.  How long did it take to get from Earth to Mongo (was this a lightspeed ship?)?

Now you need a ship from Emperor Ming the Merciless's fleet.

Ed

1 hour ago, ewahl said:

Hi, Kevin,

Great job on Dr. Z's rocket ship.  Isn't it amazing how such a complex ship can be operated successfully with such minimal instrumentation and controls?  And virtually no pre-flight training for the crew?  And ammo storage and handling for use with the nose cannon?  And a compact artificial gravity generator?  And fuel storage tanks?  And air and food supply and storage and preparation equipment?  Yep, those 1930s ships were certainly cost effective and efficient.  How long did it take to get from Earth to Mongo (was this a lightspeed ship?)?

Now you need a ship from Emperor Ming the Merciless's fleet.

Ed

Thanks. There was a lot of online footage and anyone could have gone crazy with extra details. But most of it invisible (except if a cutaway was made) I left it as is.

I don't know how fast the ship could go with just those sparklers and the audio of a Tesla coil, but I guess they did alright.  😉

Looking at Fantastic Plastic Future kits page there is a Ming's Bomber in 1:72 planned. Who knows when we'll see it tho, the "Future" page gets rearranged all the time.  But if they will put it out, I plan on getting.  it

I always liked how the smoke from the engines rose faster than the ship did as it went round and round gaining altitude. 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2018 at 7:07 PM, Ron Bell said:

I always liked how the smoke from the engines rose faster than the ship did as it went round and round gaining altitude. 

LOL yep.  As a "space geek" I always laughed at that. I was trying to figure a way to add that in, but then I'd have to find a way to make the sparks, and ... I just wasn't into that much work at the very end. LOL