Holding Down the Nose of Your Plane

nmertes

I saw recently an article where the author used self-adhesive weights to overcome the dreaded tail-sitting syndrome of most airplanes.  A source was given but, I didn't write it down & don't remember where I saw the article.  This morning I stopped by the shop I use for routine maintenance on my car and asked if I could buy some self-adhesive wheel weights.  Being a regular customer, the manager gave them to me at no cost.  Lesson here is, if you use a particular shop for car maintenance, ask.  You might save a few bucks for weights.

IMG_20180630_155606.jpg

• Like 1

You can find the same stuff in the RC section of the hobby shop, if you don't have a friend at the car repair shop.  Du-Bro and Patriot are two brands under which it is marketed.  Also, if you have a good train shop nearby, they may have a similar product used to add weight to rolling stock...

Ralph

Nick, those are the same weights I used in my build of the Kinetic E-2C 2000.  Mine are from Great Planes and give you twenty-four 1/4 oz squares and they're also self adhesive.  The adhesive on the back is so strong that you will need no other adhesive material to keep'em in place.

WEIGHTS-4.thumb.jpg.0e2185e80717baefcdcf6ed862ff5101.jpg

Thanks for the reply, Richard.  I knew I'd seen it somewhere but, couldn't remember where.  Hazards of having gray hair.  I've bookmarked your E-2 build and plan to refer to it regularly when I get around to building mine.  I'm building a Hasagawa P-2 currently & put almost 3/4oz. in the radome.

Hey Nick,

If you're interested, the E-2C 2000 build series will be an E-book by sometime around October if everything goes as expected.  All that's included in the build series and maybe a little more.  Also prototype photos of the aircraft duplicated in the build.