A few questions

Hi Mike,

Members of foreign IPMS chapters do not need to be members of IPMS/USA to register for the convention. Just include your home country IPMS number on the registration form and we will assign you a temporary number for the purposes of entering the contest, etc.

The General Admission fee is $10 per day or a multi-day pass can be purchased for $25. Children under 10 (with a paid adult), military personnel with ID and first responders in uniform are free.

Hope this answers your questions,

Mike Ronnau

To clarify, general admission allows entry into the vendor room and the contest room but does not permit you to enter models in the contest or for display nor entry into the seminars or IPMS/USA meetings.

Steve

This came up in 2016--I have never remembered a Convention where the Seminars were limited to members only.

In 2016, GA bought you an "in" to the model display room, vendor room, and seminars.  Most GA entrants don't know about the IPMS meetings, and as they deal with Society issues, and it is correct that they should be open to Members only.

The Seminars, on the other hand, deal with ideas and techniques.  The goal is to promote the hobby, and we felt that granting access to the Seminars was part and parcel of that promotion. 

As the saying goes, if they don't get it here, they'll get it somewhere. 

YMMV, etc., etc.

14 minutes ago, JClark said:

Why become a member if you can get it all for free?  Membership has it's perks ... 

Membership has its perks.  That reminds me of back in the run up to the 2000 show in Dallas.   We were proposing limiting the admission on Wednesday afternoon to IPMS members only.    Why should a person who does not think highly enough of the organization to join up be given the opportunity to get into the country's largest hobby shop ahead of someone who does support it.

OMG!  You'd have though that we were banning the use of Xacto blades in modeling

I understand your thought Ed, and don't disagree with it (for that one "half-day"). However, the other side of that is that you were limiting the number of customers to your vendors, and I can see why they would never want that to happen, even for that first half day.

On the seminar side of things, I have to fall on the IPMSUSA membership side. GA (to me) gets a person in to "see the sights"; not to "participate". I agree with limiting GA to viewing the model room and shopping the vendors. People who want to enter the contest and go to the seminars should register for the convention. However, if the host wants to allow non-registered people to BUY tickets to seminars separately to help defray those room/presenter costs, I think that would be ok. Otherwise, IPMS members who've paid to play should be given top priority!

GIL :cool:

Agree, Gil, but we're not going to get anywhere close to that 'buy tickets to seminars' thing.  That would instantly get rumored around that we were charging everyone for going to seminars and that would be an ugly mess to straighten out.  And, as Jim said, that should be one of the perks of membership and registration.

Steve