Airfields, rather than aircraft....

GuyF

I build 1/35 armor, and am starting on a Jeep, WWII.  To make a bit different, I'm adding a snow plow.  To make it more different, I thought I'd do it as a airfield support jeep, possibly painted in yellow (as a number were).

Then I had a panic thought -- did the US build forward airbases where snow would be an issue (besides Iceland, the Kuriles, etc.)  Was snow an issue in England?

Can any of you air boys give me some guidance?

Thanks!

This question intrigued me! Since Lt. Uhuru is off duty today, I had to do it myself and googled "snow in the U.K" . It does indeed snow, although not with the same consistency as, for example, upstate New York. It actually snowed in June, 1975 enough to cause cancellation of cricket matches! It snows more in Scotland than England, naturally. Short answer is that it does snow in England often enough to make your diorama plausible. Regards, Nick

You might look at the advanced bases on the mainland (France/Belgium) used by the 9thAF in the winter of 1944, when there was a LOT of ice and snow. I don't know if they used those jeeps, but there was probably more snow on the Continent as opposed to England.

GIL :cool: