On-line hobby shopping is about to get a bit more expensive.

SkyKing

The Supreme Court today has ruled that ALL states may charge sales taxes on out-of-state online retailers and other remote sellers. Up to now, sales taxes could be charged only if the seller had a physical presence within the state where the customer resides.

I have been being charged sales tax on most of my out of State mail orders for quite some time and some even charge my State's sales tax (9.9) when the supplier is not even in my State. 

I heard today from one etailer who  already collects sales tax for sales to customers in Virginia and Maryland but is NOT going to continue sales to other states because of the anticipated problems in dealing with the paperwork and requirements of the states that have not heretofore collected sales taxes.. And this is before those states have even started to develop procedures for collecting those taxes! I suspect he's not the first.

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately I'm surprised that that hasn't happened sooner. But in all honesty I was in the camp of staying local first - going to the hobby shop when I could. My last good model store just closed down, so my kits are coming from  the Net, but for what I can the bases, plants, certain paints I still get at the craft stores etc... It's just something we're going to have to put up with.

• 3 weeks later...

For the most part, I deal with the kits my clients provide.  When I have to it comes from the net but buy locally whenever I can.  As for supplies of all kinds, the net is the last place I'll go, though I've been forced into it a couple of times lately.  What I'm wondering about is where downloadable ebooks fall.  Depending on how that shakes out, I could very easily be put out of business since I do offer a How-To Modelbuilding Series.

There is, of course, one thing we have to keep in mind.  Those who sell  on  the net are usually exempt if their annual sales are below a certain amount....such as $50,000 or $100,000.  There are a slew of small etaillers who will never come near that level.