Hannibal of Carthage

Roktman

The second bust I picked up with Vlad was Hannibal. He comes from Black Heart Models and is very well done - no bubbles and only the faintest of a seamline.

While I would have thought that Hannibal was on Middle Eastern decent (I don't know why) the sculpt is made to looks distinctly African. So that's the way we're going to go. WIP can be see at my page.

Here's where I decided to leave well enuff alone. Thanks for looking and CC are always welcome.

IMG_2563.jpg.3ff051e864f92ee6e525c84c487344b3.jpgIMG_2564.jpg.a6b1d3af5065287ab7d801d7b1aa1ab1.jpgIMG_2565.jpg.82520175f1690d7b55e8a3b93b67cbdb.jpg

Edited by Roktman

A quick Google search tells us that no one really knows what Hannibal looked like definitively.  However, when you look at the way races and ethnicities were described in that time period, we have someone whose family originated in Lebanon but had spent generations in Carthage in Northern Africa before Hannibal was born.  Was there some degree of Africanization as the result of intermarriage?  Probably.  In fact quite likely.  Was he African or Black as we understand it today and the bust you painted seems to indicate?  Probably not.  More than likely he was somewhat darker skinned than Romans of that time but nowhere near as dark as an African.  Bottom line is you pays your money and takes your choice since there's no definitive historical information.

Despite what I have just said, you did a very, very nice job on the bust.  Congratulations and well done.

On 6/20/2018 at 5:28 PM, ipmsusa2 said:

A quick Google search tells us that no one really knows what Hannibal looked like definitively.  However, when you look at the way races and ethnicities were described in that time period, we have someone whose family originated in Lebanon but had spent generations in Carthage in Northern Africa before Hannibal was born.  Was there some degree of Africanization as the result of intermarriage?  Probably.  In fact quite likely.  Was he African or Black as we understand it today and the bust you painted seems to indicate?  Probably not.  More than likely he was somewhat darker skinned than Romans of that time but nowhere near as dark as an African.  Bottom line is you pays your money and takes your choice since there's no definitive historical information.

Despite what I have just said, you did a very, very nice job on the bust.  Congratulations and well done.

Thanks for the compliment and the opinion. 

My original thought is along the same lines you mentioned, but I felt the nature of the sculpt had me going a different direction. I may take another look at the bust a short ways down the road.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2018 at 11:36 AM, WildBill50 said:

Great job again Kevin!

You get some really nice skin tones on all of your figures.

Bill

Thanks.

Gets a little easier when I remember not to make too big a jump between highlight colors. Seems the larger the figure the smaller the jump needs to be.