noelsmith

BBC Filming War Of The Worlds in UK

Ready for Christmas viewing the BBC are filming War of the Worlds, true to the book based in Edwardian England. What a refreshing change from all the Americanized versions made for Cinema and TV down the years!

IT"S ABOUT TIME!!!  I have been hoping for any studio to tell the HG Wells story as it was published.  I just hope we can see it here.

The last one - Tom Cruise movie - had some decent effects; the ferry scene in particular was great.  But the never-ending, shrill screaming by the girl was really grating.  At about 1/4 way in, I was ready to let the aliens have her.  Both of the kids were really, really unlikeable.

The Tom Cruse movie was visually good and enjoyable enough but unfortunately bore no resemblance whatsoever to to H.G Wells book. Wrong period!  Wrong country!  Spielberg missed a great opportunity to do the story justice when making this film if he had made it 'in period' in the Edwardian era.    Hopefully the BBC will at long last do the story justice on screen with this 3 parter!

Rusty, you can bet on it being available in the States in 2019. My guess is that it will be shown on one of your prime network stations. Most likely it will be released on DVD shortly after. Probably that will be the best way to view it not being constantly interrupted by ads.

On 6/20/2018 at 12:03 PM, noelsmith said:

The Tom Cruse movie was visually good and enjoyable enough but unfortunately bore no resemblance whatsoever to to H.G Wells book. Wrong period!  Wrong country!  Spielberg missed a great opportunity to do the story justice when making this film if he had made it 'in period' in the Edwardian era.    Hopefully the BBC will at long last do the story justice on screen with this 3 parter!

Rusty, you can bet on it being available in the States in 2019. My guess is that it will be shown on one of your prime network stations. Most likely it will be released on DVD shortly after. Probably that will be the best way to view it not being constantly interrupted by ads.

Nice. I'll be watching for this version.

Parts of the Tom Cruise movie was filmed not terribly far from where I am. As a matter of fact the local paper called for people to come down to be extras. The local hiway was jammed and they didn't realize that the jam was just what was looked for. LOL Cruise and kids just drove up and down the same little stretch of hiway, and the bridge destroyed was the bridge from Staten Island, NY to Bayonne, NJ. But as you said would like to see a period piece.