Dragon "styrene" Tracks: NEVER again!

RickCummelin

This morning I removed one of my Dragon Panther models form the shelf to dust it and one of my fingers barely touched the L/H track, which simply disintegrated into many tiny pieces--like dropping an egg on the floor.  I had completed this kit less than a year ago.  After gluing it together, I kept it in a cardboard box for a couple of months before painting.  During that time, the tracks leeched out an amazing amount of oil (of some kind) that soaked the box, and even after I had removed the model from the box, the tracks continued to leech out oil on the shelf until I painted them (with Tamiya acrylics).  Obviously, whatever that oil was, it was what made the tracks flexible, because now they are completely dried out and as brittle and fragile as a dead leaf.  Luckily I have a spare set of Magic Track to replace the styrene tracks, but IMHO, I should NOT have to do that.

My purpose in posting this is to primarily relate what happened to me in the hope that others may avoid a similar experience.  For the most part, I like Dragon kits--I just hate those yellow styrene tracks though.  This is the second set that has self-destructed on me.

NOTE TO DRAGON:  I will never buy another of your kits that contains the "Dragon Styrene" tracks.  They are your worst invention ever.  Plus, all the Dragon kits in my stash that currently contain your styrene tracks will be disposed of.  If you wish to keep me as a customer, bring back the Magic Tracks, or develop a new formula for one-piece track plastic.  I would much prefer gluing those individual links together than repeat the disaster that occurred this morning. You should be ashamed.

Edited by RickCummelin

Man,

Sorry to hear that.  I must consider myself fortunate.  I have never (knock on wood) had that happen to me.  I have heard all the stories and am just so happy that I have not had that problem.  On the plus side.....you can get you some Masterclub tracks!!  I wish they made a set of T54E1s.  I would probably buy about 20 just to start!.

That's been a problem with DS tracks; on some 1/72 scale kits, the tracks were dry rotted or deteriorated inside the sealed bag inside kits. I haven't had any issues with my Abrams kit.

• 1 month later...

So far I have had no issues with the track I use only acrylic paints on tracks with exception of primer on metal tracks.

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:34 PM, JeffLeiby said:

So far I have had no issues with the track I use only acrylic paints on tracks with exception of primer on metal tracks.

There seems to be mixed experiences with the Dragon DS tracks.  Some folks--like me--have problems with the tracks becoming brittle and self-destructing, while others--like you--report no problems.  It also seems that no one has figured out the root cause of the problem when it exists, and Dragon remains mum on the issue, which is a major disappointment. 

My opinion--FWIW--is that once the tracks are removed from their sealed packaging, they should immediately be installed on the model and immediately painted, if only with a primer.  This "may" keep that oil I mentioned from leeching out or evaporating and the tracks will remain flexible.  While this is only my opinion, and one I would follow IF I were to ever again use DS tracks (which will never happen), I would recommend doing this to others who like the DS tracks.  

• 3 months later...