Armor rookie needs sdkfz251 help

robertbhenry

I never have done armor before, but I was given a Dragon kit to build. It is a 1/72 sdkfz 251 c. I'm working on the interior and I was wondering what color to paint the cyllander on the rear door. I've seen some photos with it painted red, and others with it painted the main body color. Is it a fire extinguisher? What color is the radio? What is the cyllander looking thing on the left ( port ) side of the dash and what color is it supposed to be? What color are the clutch and brake pedals? I'm guessing main body color with worn metal showing through. Is that correct? It looks like the gear shift lever and the other levers are body color with black knobs and black floor boots. The seat backs show the springs. I guess that the seat frame and springs are body color with the exposed padding being visible. What color should that padding be? What color should the leather seats be? ( black or leather brown ) I have to do some painting this weekend so I need some Divine help!!! I'm not out for a show stopper, I just want to get it pretty close using the TLAR rule ( That looks about right ) You can e-mail me directly at henryfamily1@netzero.net Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom. Bob

I never have done armor before, but I was given a Dragon kit to build. It is a 1/72 sdkfz 251 c. I'm working on the interior and I was wondering what color to paint the cyllander on the rear door. I've seen some photos with it painted red, and others with it painted the main body color. Is it a fire extinguisher? It's a fire extinguisher - they were usually dark green, dark grey, bluegrey, or dark yellow(dunkelgelb)

What color is the radio dials: black - gauges: white - face: light grey - housing: black

What is the cyllander looking thing on the left ( port ) side of the dash and what color is it supposed to be? It's gas mask cannister, they were feldgrau(green shade), dark yellow or feldblau(darkish-blue shade - for Luftfwaffe only)

What color are the clutch and brake pedals? I'm guessing main body color with worn metal showing through. Is that correct? well, you can't go wrong painting them flat or semigloss black

It looks like the gear shift lever and the other levers are body color with black knobs and black floor boots. Good to go with your color selection

The seat backs show the springs. I guess that the seat frame and springs are body color with the exposed padding being visible. What color should the leather seats be? ( black or leather brown ) The seatpads were a faux leather, like vinyl - paint them whichever leather color you prefer

I have to do some painting this weekend so I need some Divine help!!! I'm not out for a show stopper, I just want to get it pretty close using the TLAR rule ( That looks about right ) You can e-mail me directly at henryfamily1@netzero.net Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom. Bob

Good luck, Bob & welcome.....to the dark side! :smiley15:

hth,

Greg

I never have done armor before, but I was given a Dragon kit to build. It is a 1/72 sdkfz 251 c. I'm working on the interior and I was wondering what color to paint the cyllander on the rear door. I've seen some photos with it painted red, and others with it painted the main body color. Is it a fire extinguisher? It's a fire extinguisher - they were usually dark green, dark grey, bluegrey, or dark yellow(dunkelgelb)

What color is the radio dials: black - gauges: white - face: light grey - housing: black

What is the cyllander looking thing on the left ( port ) side of the dash and what color is it supposed to be? It's gas mask cannister, they were feldgrau(green shade), dark yellow or feldblau(darkish-blue shade - for Luftfwaffe only)

What color are the clutch and brake pedals? I'm guessing main body color with worn metal showing through. Is that correct? well, you can't go wrong painting them flat or semigloss black

It looks like the gear shift lever and the other levers are body color with black knobs and black floor boots. Good to go with your color selection

The seat backs show the springs. I guess that the seat frame and springs are body color with the exposed padding being visible. What color should the leather seats be? ( black or leather brown ) The seatpads were a faux leather, like vinyl - paint them whichever leather color you prefer

I have to do some painting this weekend so I need some Divine help!!! I'm not out for a show stopper, I just want to get it pretty close using the TLAR rule ( That looks about right ) You can e-mail me directly at henryfamily1@netzero.net Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom. Bob

Good luck, Bob & welcome.....to the dark side! :smiley15:

hth,

Greg

Concerning the fire extinguisher, the dark green and dark grey, are they Panzer colors or can I use either RLM 71 dark green or RLM 82 dark green? I also have RLM 66 for a dark grey. If I need the Panzer colors I guess I'm taking a trip to the hobby store. I'm guessing that the gas cannister fieldgrau ( green shade is also one of those colors specific to armor. Is there a RLM crossover? I do have RLM 79 for dark yellow but I might be needing the Panzer yellow. Thanks for giving me enough info to get started. I'll wait to hear back before I go to the Hobby store to spend any more $$

Concerning the fire extinguisher, the dark green and dark grey, are they Panzer colors or can I use either RLM 71 dark green or RLM 82 dark green? I also have RLM 66 for a dark grey. If I need the Panzer colors I guess I'm taking a trip to the hobby store. I'm guessing that the gas cannister fieldgrau ( green shade is also one of those colors specific to armor. Is there a RLM crossover? I do have RLM 79 for dark yellow but I might be needing the Panzer yellow. Thanks for giving me enough info to get started. I'll wait to hear back before I go to the Hobby store to spend any more $$

For the fire extinguisher, I prefer to use Testors/ACRYL Marine Corps green, but you could also use forest green or dark green. The RLM paints, as you already know, are Luftwaffe colors. The armor colors have RAL numbers. I've never heard of anyone making comparisons to similar name paints. For the gas mask cannister, you could get away with using the forest green used for the fire extinguisher or lighten it a bit for variation. If you're interested in doing a 251C with Afrika Korps markings, you could use the RLM 79 sandgelb on the exterior with a dunkelgrau interior.

So far things are working out ok. I did forget to ask one other question. What color are the gas cans that are located on the exterior of the rear doors supposed to be? Were they ever totally rust covered? Thanks again for the help. Bob

So far things are working out ok. I did forget to ask one other question. What color are the gas cans that are located on the exterior of the rear doors supposed to be? Were they ever totally rust covered? Thanks again for the help. Bob

Gas cans were usually dunkelgrau or dunkelgelb. Water cans would have a white + (full height/width of the can) on them and the can would have been made with "wasser" indented on it.

Gas cans were usually dunkelgrau or dunkelgelb. Water cans would have a white + (full height/width of the can) on them and the can would have been made with "wasser" indented on it.

So far things are going ok but I still am puzzled by a few things. This kit is Dragon #7223 Sd.Kfz.251 Ausf.C On the instrument panel there is a box on the lower right side ( A 32 ) What is it and what color should it be? Also there are two items ( C 26 and C 27 ) that are located on both sides of the interior. What are they and what color should they be? There is a photo etched part ( MA 4 ). I see that it is optional. Does it get added, and where should it go? Or, should it be used in lieu of another part? What color should it be? Thanks again for the help. Bob

Bob,

Parts C26/27 are the extra vision blocks for the side vision ports, the frame should be the interior color and the glass a clear green. I believe A32 is the same for the front visors.

hth,

Greg

On the instrument panel there is a box on the lower right side ( A 32 ) What is it and what color should it be?

I believe you are looking at the radio. should be green(sort of OD) or german grey with a black face. If you go to www.primeportal.net you should find some references there.

But here is a build from Hauler. it's either 1/35 or 1/48, I don't remember.

halftrack.jpg

I believe you are looking at the radio. should be green(sort of OD) or german grey with a black face.
Here's a pic of the directions (courtesy of Hobby Search):

10066692z2.jpg

If his part A32 is the same as shown in these instructions, it's not the radio. The radio colors were already discussed.

Bob, looking forward to seeing your 251 when completed. Of course, I have to send you a bill for the consulting fees. :smiley2:

Greg

Here's a pic of the directions (courtesy of Hobby Search):

10066692z2.jpg

If his part A32 is the same as shown in these instructions, it's not the radio. The radio colors were already discussed.

Bob, looking forward to seeing your 251 when completed. Of course, I have to send you a bill for the consulting fees. :smiley2:

Greg

Yes ,the part in question is the A 32 that's shown in the instructions. I will now see what I can come up with for the green glass color. Meanwhile, back at the Hobby store......

When I built this model I was told that the part A32 in these instructions was a box holding spare clips for the grease guns (parts B33/B34) that they have clipped to the side next to the driver and radio operator. They were to be painted German grey. At least that is what I did on mine.

When I built this model I was told that the part A32 in these instructions was a box holding spare clips for the grease guns (parts B33/B34) that they have clipped to the side next to the driver and radio operator.
You were told incorrectly. The magazine holder was flat pouch that held 4 mags that was mounted on the starboard wall below the MP40. ("Grease guns" should only be used when referring to the M3/M3A1 SMG.)

Thanks for setting me straight. So you know what the angled boxes are then? I'd like to know now that I found out I was told wrong. I do appreciate you clearing that up for me. MP40 was what I was trying to remember too. Thanks again for reminding me of that as well.

I sent off for the Transparent green paint. The green tinted clear glass portion of the parts to be painted were moulded in light grey. Is there a preferred color to paint them prior to painting them with the Transparent green? I'm not sure how much of the base color will show through. It may not matter that much on this scale, but I will try my hand with the bigger stuff eventually and it may matter more at that point. By the way, I also figured out that my optivisor #3 lens was not good enough for this scale so I also sent off for the #5 lens. ( Old age I think ) Any input will be appreciated. Thanks, guys. Bob

Bob,

As the spare vision block holder (part A32) is just an open ended box, you could get away with painting it just the interior color. As for the base coating of the glass part of the vision blocks, in 1/35 scale, I paint them in semi-gloss black adn over coat in the clear green. In regard to the switch from #3 to the #5 lens, I may have to do the same thing soon. :huh:

Thank Pyrman for letting me know what part A-32 is. I appreciate it.

The #5 optivisor works a lot better. Now for the next mess. Since things are a little tight in this scale I managed to mess up by getting some super glue stains in unwanted areas. Could I just put a little clear flat over it ( the stains ) or should I dab a little bit of grey paint over them and apply clear flat over the interior ? Thanks in advance for the help. Bob