Riley #33 Mercedes AMG

Here are the completed pics. of my latest build. It's my first official Tamiya sports car build so there were some small challenges to it. I also had a time with some challenging decals, especially the side panels so I ended up adding some subtle weathering to help minimize the flawed decal application. It was so much of a different, fun build than what I'm used to building I'm looking forward to attempting another one real soon.

Oh, and yes, the paint job is part gloss and part matte finish.

2018060321_57_29-vi.jpg

2018060321_57_09-vi.jpg

2018060321_56_48-vi.jpg

2018060321_56_28-vi.jpg

2018060321_55_48-vi.jpg

2018060321_55_25-vi.jpg

2018060321_55_03-vi.jpg

2018060321_54_43-vi.jpg

2018060321_54_22-vi.jpg

2018060321_53_54-vi.jpg

2018060321_53_24-vi.jpg

2018060321_52_52-vi.jpg

• Like 1

That looks great!! It looks good sitting on the carbon fiber!!

Where did you get the decals? I recently picked up the kit, but need new markings!!

4 hours ago, dhamilton said:

That looks great!! It looks good sitting on the carbon fiber!!

Where did you get the decals? I recently picked up the kit, but need new markings!!

The decals came from Slotfabrik, out of Germany. They are expensive and for this particular build, very difficult to work with. This was probably the most laborious decaling job that I've ever had to do, and I've done some insane full wrap decals before. 

Thanks!! I checked out their website, they have some really interesting markings available!! I'll be picking up some shortly!!

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:55 PM, 1320Wayne said:

The decals came from Slotfabrik, out of Germany. They are expensive and for this particular build, very difficult to work with. This was probably the most laborious decaling job that I've ever had to do, and I've done some insane full wrap decals before. 

Your efforts most assuredly paid off Wayne! Spectacular model building and beautiful car.

Oh, I gotta get set of those. Looks great. You mentioned that they were a pain to apply, but probably no more so than these Renaissance decals on the Porsche or the Studio 27 "Crocodile" Audi (yep she got damaged in storage). Both were gloss white bases with decals covering the entire bodies.

002.JPG

Crocodile Audi.JPG

Man, I just dropped 300 Euros with them. Way too much kool stuff on their web site.

Wayne,

May I please ask why you said the decals were a pain to apply? Also, do they include a placement chart? What base color did you use for this Merc? I've ordered these same decals.

Thanks,

Tim

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:37 AM, TimDarrah said:

Man, I just dropped 300 Euros with them. Way too much kool stuff on their web site.

I ended up visiting that site and you're right. Lotsa goodies on there. I do have a Porsche in my stash so I may re-visit it at "decal time".

On 7/14/2018 at 3:03 PM, TimDarrah said:

Wayne,

May I please ask why you said the decals were a pain to apply? Also, do they include a placement chart? What base color did you use for this Merc? I've ordered these same decals.

Thanks,

Tim

The decals are great as far as registry and accuracy but they are rather thick (no bleedthrough) and don't like to conform to contours. I used ample amounts of decal setting solution and still had a time getting them to settle into certain areas. I learned from the drivers side and went with a different approach on the passengers side by cutting the large panels into smaller components and it went much better. I also cut the stars sections into much smaller areas and that worked well.

No placement chart. I used as many research photos as I could find. For instance. There are sections of white decal needed inside the open side vents. They are not included on the sheet so I made my own with some plain white decal film.

The base coat that I went with, after three failed attempts at matching, was Testors Arctic Blue Metallic. Add the matte finish and it was almost perfect. Then mask off the areas for the gloss blue on the hood and sides. 

When you receive your decals check to make sure that the roof decal is correct. The original decal roof image had the wrong number of stripes. The guy who creates these did a correct roof piece and sent it to me separately. Unless he has changed the artwork on the original decal you should receive the extra piece with your order. 

Wayne,

Thanks for the info. What decal solvent did you use? I always use Solv-a-set.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Wayne, 

How long did you have to wait to get your order and did they ever reply to any e-mails you sent them? I've sent them 2 e-mails and heard nothing back. Plus they charge VAT even though it's a "non-EU" order.

Tim

6 hours ago, TimDarrah said:

Wayne, 

How long did you have to wait to get your order and did they ever reply to any e-mails you sent them? I've sent them 2 e-mails and heard nothing back. Plus they charge VAT even though it's a "non-EU" order.

Tim

If I remember I've placed two orders and both took about 3 weeks each time. I never tried to communicate through email. I belong to a Facebook group devoted to GT Racing scale models and the decal seller and creator (obviously the person who runs Slotfabrik) is part of the same group and any questions or concerns were sent through Facebook messenger. He responded pretty promptly there. His name is Folasf Osu and the exact group name is called GT Racing Scale Models