Planet Models' Horten HO VII

Roktman

Ok, I swear this is my last Left '46 kit for a while... 😉

The Horten bros (like Northrop) loved the idea of the flying wing. This plane was actually built and was in the testing phase when The war ended.

IMG_2433.jpg.a882b75ea9eb302f45f1279d9d57783b.jpg

Diving right into it, I assembled the interior. One thing that caught me, and also caught me with the last Planet kit, is there are no specific spots for the seats etc... So gluing the parts in and then trying the cover on, I found I put the 2nd seat too far back. So I had to get the back seat, and stick out and reposition. Hopefully I remember for the next one... 😉

I think I took this pic *before* I had to move the seat. The other thing is that the back seat has it's own instrument console, but it goes on the top part. So you need to see where that fits in as well.

IMG_2435.jpg.30ef34f759ae4b578db73c9570f3477f.jpg

As mentioned there's not a lot of parts and while waiting for some sub assembly to dry I painted the bottom with RLM 65. The wheel wells and the interior will be painted RLM 2 - 

IMG_2437.jpg.be53d08a3d7a6257dfb30f2ef630e5f3.jpg

This was probably the smoothest going kit I've built in a long time. The decals were also a breeze, they came off the backing paper in a few seconds. On the top of the wing there were 2 white stripe decals. I didn't trust the white to be opaque enough over the dark color, so I opted to mask and paint the stripes on. But then when I put the Maltese Crosses on - yep the white was opaque enough.

The plane's landing gear had been painted, so it was just a matter of installing them in the wells, and then to tackle the canopy.

Usually adding vac form canopies are my nemesis and dread when that part of the build comes along. 
I start all canopies the same way by giving it it's Future dip, and then letting it dry. The dip happened a few days ago, so it was ready to start cutting. The cut went smoothly, and I decided to paint the framework freehand rather than masking. I must say between the paint and fit this is my best one yet.
Thanks for looking.

IMG_2445.jpg.3a1a6ab24985232428fd3d6e7f7b1c5d.jpgIMG_2446.jpg.19f853a953abe248fac378b257b166f5.jpg

Looking good sir!

That looks like another interesting landing gear...Trying to land a gurney on four wheels.

The paint scheme looks the part too.

Bill

Thanks guys,

Gil: Thanks. My adopted way is sort of a technique of two guys I subscribe to on You Tube. The first guy is Andys Hobby's HQ. He does his priming backwards. Instead of priming white or gray and then outlining the panels in black, he primes in NATO black, which is, IMO, really a dark gray and to me has a tiny bit of brown in it, and then fills in the panels with white for some modulation. At this point I use this other guys technique (I'll have to look up his name again) who adds the white on the panels in little speckles and squiggles to make the top coat look uneven and worn.

Bill: Thanks. Yep, definitely a weird landing gear set up. The front wheels are on one set up sitting side by side. Plus it seems weird to me in how high it makes the plane sit off the ground... 🙂

• Like 1