Two Luft '46 planes

Roktman

Hey gang,

I have 2 new builds completed or should I say given up on.  The Me. 1092 (the light blue one w/dots) was from Unicraft. Anyone who knows Unicraft kits knows it's almost like scratchbuilding the plane. The air intake in the front were simply holes in the fuselage. I had to create some sort of tubes to fill the spot and also double up as the front wheel well bottom.  Thin soda straws fit the bill.  Then the wheels were in such bad shape - it looked like the resin foamed during casting - that I simply threw them away and got a cheap-o Me.262 kit and stole the wheels and decals. The rear wheels were too big, but I used them anyway, and yeah these kits have no decals. Finally the panel lines were like little Grand Canyons, and I lost count of the times I filled and sanded.

I didn't want all my German planes to be the RLM 81 and 82 (how it seems to work out)  so I followed a paint job that was in one of the SAMI magazines. Then the dots seemed too dark. Finally I had the brain storm to mist a light coat of the base color and that toned down the dots.  I was going to just draw the panel lines on, but was given a pep talk from one of the guys in my modeling club to scratch them back in. BIG mistake. I ruined it in a few places, but I didn't want to fill and sand anymore and just gave up.  It's a decent 3 foot model (best seen from at least 3 ft. away).

IMG_2408.jpg.8055757443e97953cb2502d8d76bb0ed.jpgIMG_2409.jpg.090fbb5d221abaa869e4badb72bf4ce6.jpg

The Lippisch 13.B came from Anigrand and was a bit easier to work with. My biggest problem was again not wanting to use the same camo colors I brightened the light color and darkened the dark color. (I forget the RLM #s right now). But then when I needed touch ups, and why I don't mix paint, I couldn't find the right recipe for the lighter color. I knew I used Flesh, but doing a lot of Figures, I have about 10 Fleshs.  (Insert pulling out hair emoji here). After painting the touch up paint about 5 times I found the right flesh, made the mix and just slopped it on.  My last step was to stretch some sprue tubing to make the little gun barrels  either side of the cockpit.

Thanks for looking, but don't look too close. 😉

IMG_2410.jpg.64b42e0679e6cfba082dcf19ebb57575.jpgIMG_2411.jpg.5091a9a0daafeda4635853ccdc652345.jpg

On 5/15/2018 at 5:42 PM, ghodges said:

Good looking builds! What scale are they?

GIL :cool:

Thanks!. They're both 1:72.

On 5/16/2018 at 1:56 PM, Mark Deliduka said:

They don't look half bad for 3-foot models. I do like the pattern on the Lippisch. That is very attractive.

Thanks. I have to give Anigrand the credit. Usually I freehand a shape with the a/b. So all my camo have that soft edge. This  time I noticed that the color call out drawing in the instructions were exactly the same size as the model. I merely cut out the shapes And put them down  on the plane. But first I sprayed the green freehand and oversized so all I had to worry about the lighter color.

IMG_2313.jpg.4c6f89a6582210f5c61b595b7b8c294b.jpg

• Like 1

I have to agree about the Lippisch.  It looks really cool looking. The Me 1092 has that Me 262 look to it (must be the wing platform).

What kind of landing gear is on the Lippisch or is it in flight mode?

Bill

2 hours ago, WildBill50 said:

I have to agree about the Lippisch.  It looks really cool looking. The Me 1092 has that Me 262 look to it (must be the wing platform).

What kind of landing gear is on the Lippisch or is it in flight mode?

Bill

Thanks Bill.

The model came with and is resting on it's  an "L" shaped landing skid. It's prolly 1/4 the length of the plane. The rear rests on those downward facing winglets.  The skid is in 2 pieces that need to be lined up and then you need to line it up again with the angle of the plane. UGH. Sounds simple, but a real bear while trying to do it and then hit it with CA.

The Fantastic Plastic guy has a good shot if it - LIPPISCH%20P-13B%20STARBOARD%20SIDE.jpg