Kinetic 1/48 E2C Hawkeye Build Series, Part 4

ipmsusa2

Hey all,

It's been a while, but the C-46 is done and shipped.  So now it's back to the Kinetic 1/48th kit of the Northrop Grumman E2C Hawkeye 2000.  Some of you may find it helpful to go back and review the first three installments of this build.  As with the C-46, this is a commission build for another client.  O.K., y'all up to speed?  Then let's see if I can get you a ways farther down the road.

Besides the normal canopy, the E2C has three round windows located in the starboard fuselage.  Kinetic provides individual inserts that fit perfectly.  Due to the extended tab attached to each window, there's no problem with solvent fouling the clear.

IMGP7702-2.thumb.jpg.e32b3d54f210dfdeea941fbe4ca5e427.jpg

On the outside, these are some of the easiest windows I've seen to mask.  Slap a piece of blue masking tape over each, run your fingernail around the window seam, follow that with a #11 blade and you're done.

IMGP7704-2.thumb.jpg.e7388ace9851023786c10052a2386623.jpg

Whether you opt for extended or folded wings, that large radome guarantees that this little critter is a tail sitter and then some.  Since there's enough room, l picked up a package of self-adhesive lead weights from Great Planes....try your radio control airplane shops if you can't find them elsewhere.

WEIGHTS-1.thumb.jpg.00ea43299f6ff150fc2d5c5f1bf1a0de.jpg

With the cockpit installed in the starboard fuselage, I packed in close to a full ounce of lead in front of and behind the cockpit.  The white arrows show you exactly where.  Since each 1/4 ounce piece has VERY sticky tape on the back, you won't have to worry about the weights coming loose.  But do be sure you have'em where you want'em before applying pressure because you won't be gettin' them loose.

IMGP7706-2.thumb.jpg.325fe8c15aafdf859a09119d1afbaf8c.jpg

Another 3/4 ounce or so of lead was added to the port fuselage.  Not only did this make sure that it wouldn't tail sit, it also tells you why those Scale Aircraft Conversion metal replacement gear are essential.

IMGP7707-2.thumb.jpg.c824fdf6084428ec67d9c32f9534d1d2.jpg

If you haven't had an Oops! event while working on models, you haven't been building very long!  Here I got ahead of myself and joined the tail end of the fuselage before adding the tail hook well.  Fortunately the solvent hadn't cured too long, so a lot of care and a new #11 blade made splitting the aft fuselage fairly easy.  Rather than split the entire fuselage, I wrapped a rubber band around the fuselage about halfway up, then shoved a spring clothespin into the gap to keep the fuselage halves separated,.

IMGP7710-2.thumb.jpg.4606065efcce737b64504e56a0e63751.jpg

With the tail hook well properly installed, the fuselage halves were rejoined and a rubber band along with another spring clothespin was used to keep everything snug until the solvent dried.

IMGP7715-2.thumb.jpg.5335c2ae0e8f87de7a003c615f6ead26.jpg

Partly because of its size, the fuselage is not one that can be held together and watch the seams disappear.  I had to work my way around a few inches at time, as well as employing the assistance of a number of rubber bands as I went.

IMGP8357-2.thumb.jpg.760e50c87a675c69655a54b00820fa31.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good! I've had a few of those "Ooops!" moments myself. I'm glad to see you could fix it easy enough.

I like those weights. I also get some used ones from my mechanic after he balances wheels. They work!

Keep it coming, this is looking fantastic so far.

Mark, I know about tire weights and have use'em myself.  Only problem is that they're hard to cut because of their composition.  The Great Planes weights can almost be bent with your bare hands.  Thanks for your kind comments.  Next installment will be coming soon.

By the way, if you want all the installments in one place, don't forget that the C-46 E-book is now available.  And the E2C will be an E-book as well.

Edited by ipmsusa2
  • Thanks 1