Still somewhat new here -- Jay Mesawitz

JayMesawitz

Hello to all and thanks for the opportunity to share model building & related topics with you.

I am a Floridian and member of region 11, IPMS-First Coast. I have been a club/IPMS member for about 5 years but only within the last 4-6 months have I participated in this forum. Professionally, I'm a software developer for a shower-door manufacture. I'm a bit of a computer geek and utilize the internet for research more than many. My club involvement is as secretary, web master and official car guy. I have built model cars for most of my life with only a few years off in the mix for growing up in other ways. (chasing girls & being an idiot) It's all part of life. The majority of IPMS'rs seem to be military/retired from my limited point of view, my only military tie is my father. So maybe that is why my model building interests are civilian in nature. I am a race/car fan. Nascar, NHRA, Grand Am, SCCA, ALMS, Hot Rods ECT. I've always told myself I would build little ones until I could afford a full size project car. Well, I'm pushing 45 and still can't afford one. By the time I can (if ever) I may no longer have the desire to crawl under a chassis or bend over an engine bay for hours on end. My recent interests have been toward 60's/70's era racing. Those old GT40's are pretty sexy. Building car subjects, a good gloss finish is the standard. Believe it or not, while this aspect causes me the most stress in a build, it is the key that keeps me challenged for the next project. I like challenging myself; adding plumbing and scratch building parts is one way I do that. Not every build and not always successful but I like testing the limits. I also like showing off when I've pulled off something I though to be a challenge. But after the fact it never really looks as hard as it seemed to be to start. I most enjoy bringing my current work in progress to club meetings vs. something built some time ago but fits this month's theme.

That is about it for me but please check out my current W.I.P. (Mclaren M8b) over in the car section. She should be done in a week or two then I'll have a new favorite project on the work bench.

Thanks again for having me.

Guest Bun E. Carlos

No Jay.............THANK YOU for coming and sharing your passion with us!!!!!!!!! Your a GREAT MODELER and hope to see more soon. Your McLaren is AWESOME and I hope you can put together something for us to read and use as reference!

Jack

Hello Jay, Thanks for posting an interesting Modeler Bio. Your McLaren has been a facsinating WIP and it sounds like all of us are excited to see how it looks when completed. I see you mentioned an interest in, amongst other subjects, NHRA and 60s/70s motorsports. Ever dip into 70s Funny Cars? That's one of my favorites. In Junior High thru High School, I ennjoyed going to Irwindale, OCIR, Lyons, and Pamona (all in So.Cal.). I built dozens of FCs and unfortunately, they didn't survive the transition from adolescents to adulthood. Now I have a wall full of unbuilt kits to re-capture that part of my modeling but this time, build 'em the right way. Ya know whadda mean? I look forward to seeing more of your work here on the DF and hopefully in person someday. Model on, Brother of the Sprue.

Hi Jay!

Thanks for your info! Glad that you're a part of the group.

Hello Jay! Now let me tell ya 'bout the time Jay came to the meeting without.....NAH, I wouldn't do that to my buddy!

One thing Jay didn't mention is that he is overly humble. Speaking as a fellow member of IPMS First Coast, he's not just the Secretary (and has the legs for it too! :smiley2: ), he's one of the rocks of the club! He's stepped up to help with our Jaxcon show and done more than was asked of him; every time. That makes MY job so much easier!

While he's the "official" car guy, he's also influenced many in the club to build cars, or to at least try one or two. Like I tell him....camo is easy, GLOSS is hard! But to watch him you wouldn't know it 'cause he makes it look easy. The thing is, he readily shares his work and techniques with all of us, which makes us feel like we might have a shot at reproducing his results. And as if that's not enough, he's also taken over the club website, and (of course) took it to another level for the club. Hmmm.....sounds like just the guy to take over my job.....

Glad to have ya here Jay! Like the other guys said, your work is outstanding and inspiring. Good to see ya sharing it with all of IPMS!

GIL :smiley16:

I appreciate the warm welcome. Thank you all.

Jack, I'm really am glad you are enjoying the WIP.

Ken, I have not done a drag car since my early 20's. I would like to try one but I would rather attemp somthing more recent. Schumachers Army rail comes to mind. Theres not much to start with these days though. I think licensing is keeping these off the shelves. I know a few aftermarket places that can help. ($$$) Maybe!

Gil, always TOO kind. I'm just another guy thats trying to avoid housework via the model bench. Pretty elaborate plan, don'cha think (please, don't tell my wife). PS, you can keep your job. Talk about making something hard look easy. Viva, el presidente!

Welcome Jay! I am also one of those whose only attachment to the military was my father, and now my sister. Still, I love building military aircraft, armor and ships. That does not pull away from my overwhelming appreciation for a well made car. I bow to those who can get a mirror smooth shine on a car; that is something I've never succeeded in doing.

Welcome once again; I look forward to seeing you work.